SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-05, 01:50 PM   #1
Dirty Baz

Default My first IL4 experience - perhaps a little bit OTT?

so what's a sensible IL4 to try out after a year and a half on the wee SV then??

a wee 400? a thundercat perhaps? even a 600 CBR or Ninja?

nah! yesterday I jumped at the change of a blast on my neighbours GSX1400 - all I can say is what a machine! Sitting on it I'm suddenly aware of it's huge weight, I'm not small at 5'9 and 13st but this thing just felt too big! Started it up (needles on the dials did a nice wee dance), snicked first and with a big handful of rev's we flew off up the street (hydraulic clutch was odd!) . I pulled off a remarkable u-turn at the top of the cul-d-sac (considering the weight of the thing and the fact it's owner was watching!) and off we go for a blast. Onto the first country road (which is 2 left turns out of my street!) and I gave it some berry's in 2nd - sweet jesus talk about trust, this thing feels like the back tyre is just eatting up the road. Blink and you are over a ton on this monster! Quickly onto the first roadabout and I pull on the brakes, very powerful stoppers, catch me by surprize after the soggy brakes on teh SV. Into the roundabout and we hit a problem - turning the bloomin' thing! It needed a major push on the bars to turn! Was nice a stable lent over anyway.

We only spent about 15 mintues together but what a great experience. The SV just feels slow after that so I found myself canning it to work today!

As a first IL4 experience it's probably a bit daft as it will be nothing like the 600's etc but it did give me a taste of the smoothness I've been hearing about - now I can't wait to try out more fours!! Sorry, kinda pointless tale - sitting bored in work with glorious sunshine outside!
Old 08-08-05, 02:13 PM   #2
jonboy

If you liked the thrust, then try an SV1000. Feels like it's on rails, fab brakes, mucho welly .

Old 08-08-05, 05:12 PM   #3
Jelster

I'd like to have a play with a GSX1400. I don't know what it is about that bike but I really like the look of it. I've sat on it and it feels really comfy too.