SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 22-03-06, 04:09 PM   #1
knightster

Default City of London Swan Lane Car Park Closure

Have you noticed that Swan Lane car Park will be permanently closed with effect from 7pm on the 31st August 2006?

The City of London have no plans to replace their largest car park, or offer extra parking facilities for Motorbikes.

This means that other local facilities will be over crowded and the chances of getting a parking space anywhere within the city of London will be minimal.

If this affects you then like me you are no doubt outraged by this turn of events and the lack of consideration shown for motorcyclists by the City of London.

The number of spaces for bikes has been systematically reduced (eg the motorbike spaces which have been eliminated recently in at least two places near to Monument). I have tried parking my bike in various locations around the City but it is only in the Swan Street car park that the bike is safe and secure, and where it can be parked with relative ease. I know from experience that all the on-street parking in the vicinity of where I work (Gracechurch Street) is full by 8.00 am.

If this affects you take 5 minutes of your time to e-mail you displeasure to the following e-mail address.

car.parks@cityoflondon.gov.uk

If they can't keep Swan Lane open then they should provide new and extra bays in the city. If you know of any others that use Swan Lane or surrounding areas (as these will become overcrowded), then please pass on the e-mail address above and get them to register their displeasure. We can't all fit on the bus.
Old 22-03-06, 04:19 PM   #2
lynw

Doesn't affect me - park at work in Angel.

But this may be of some help. Indicates theres about 20 bays within walking distance. And another car park near Cannon St station too.
Old 22-03-06, 05:25 PM   #3
knightster

Thanks for that. Only the City of London car Parks are free to bikers and Cyclists.

The trouble is that it affects about 200 to 300 bikes that use the swan lane car park. The City of London have been removing bays recently too. I think that when the car park shuts that people will have trouble parking in the city. You can't get in to a bay after 8:00am at the moment.

As I said we can't all fit on the bus and the tubes are over crowded too.
Old 22-03-06, 05:38 PM   #4
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightster
Thanks for that. Only the City of London car Parks are free to bikers and Cyclists.

The trouble is that it affects about 200 to 300 bikes that use the swan lane car park. The City of London have been removing bays recently too. I think that when the car park shuts that people will have trouble parking in the city. You can't get in to a bay after 8:00am at the moment.

As I said we can't all fit on the bus and the tubes are over crowded too.
that many bikes? wow... have you left a message up in the car park to get everyone who uses it to email COLC too?

Also get on to TFL. This is against the mayors policy of encouraging bikes into London.

But email sent anyway.
Old 22-03-06, 06:40 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

I work near there, but lucky to have a company car park that i can use.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-06, 11:12 AM   #6
knightster

Good tip, I'll get on to TFL
Old 26-03-06, 04:25 PM   #7
Fizzy Fish

I'm pretty sure this won't be within TfL's remit - its's usually the local councils who deal with parking. TfL have been trying to get councils such as Westminster to put more bays in to support m/c & scooter travel, but they just seem to take them away instead. I guess if they put car spaces in they rake in the £££, whereas bikes don't generally bring in any revenue...

Def worth raising the problem with as many people as possible though!
Old 26-03-06, 07:45 PM   #8
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizlaSV
I'm pretty sure this won't be within TfL's remit - its's usually the local councils who deal with parking. TfL have been trying to get councils such as Westminster to put more bays in to support m/c & scooter travel, but they just seem to take them away instead. I guess if they put car spaces in they rake in the £££, whereas bikes don't generally bring in any revenue...

Def worth raising the problem with as many people as possible though!
But if that goes against the mayors policy doesn't he have the power to override them?

It seems to be conflicting with the policy or is that intentional on the councils part I wonder?
Old 28-03-06, 12:07 PM   #9
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
But if that goes against the mayors policy doesn't he have the power to override them?
no, only on some things

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
It seems to be conflicting with the policy or is that intentional on the councils part I wonder?
it wouldn't be the first time...