SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-17, 12:49 PM   #1
gibbzy2k1

Default Too good to be try?

A friend of mine was interested in 2003 curvy that was very very cheap. What's your opinions? I've told him to walk away at the moment as it looks too good to be true.

It's fully faired late curvy, with brand new MOT and just had servoce including oil, filter and plugs. It was dropped by previous owner so there is a few scratches, scuffs and a dent in the tank. New Bridgestone front tyre.
He stated it 'could use a carb clean, but runs fine' he told my friend that it bogs down towards the top of the rev range.

But he is asking 550, which to me seem ridiculously cheap.
Old 25-07-17, 01:30 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Too good to be try?

Aftermarket can?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 01:34 PM   #3
Chris_SVS

I'd be buying that after a good inspection and at least a test ride. I say this knowing that mainland MOT is more stringent than ours in NI
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 01:47 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

for 550 you cant complain. even if you spend another 300 if it needs fixed its still a bargain. farrr too many people want new looks but if you can look past 'scruffy' and get it running right then thats all that matters. think of it as a fixerupper.

the bogging down at full throttle could actually be a restriction kit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 03:34 PM   #5
gibbzy2k1

The can looks standard in the photo. Not 100% sure though. If it was restricted I'd have thought he would have said, he used it for commuting last year but hardly used it since which is why he is selling it apparently.
Old 25-07-17, 04:52 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

you could spend another £1k on a different bike and still buy a dud. at least this one is cheep and therefore expect to fix it. just make sure that the engine is not rattling its nut off and check the oil level. if there is no or little oil in it, walk away.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 05:51 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

I sold one for about £650, just heed Bib's advice, if its a rattler then walk away. Otherwise it might be a bargain buy
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 06:51 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

14 year old banger.Price is about right.Full inspection and buy it if everything adds up.
Old 26-07-17, 07:47 PM   #9
fulburncams

At 550 sounds ok, subject to engine rattles, what is the mileage ? If it was me ( pointy owner ) I would go for it, re-sell the ugly bug eyed fairing , keep the clip ons and have an instant (almost) cafe racer.
fulburncams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-17, 09:08 PM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Al fair comments there. TBH the price isn't a great indicator here, it's not an exact science. Some people jack the price up because either they're greedy or it gives a false sense of quality. Some put a fair or low price because that's what they think (it is a bit dented after all), or maybe they need a quick sale for some reason, like having no money. Any old bike needs a good look; the comments about bogging down need a test ride (ideally by someone familiar with the bike, or at least familiar with bikes), caveat emptor as always. You may come home with a bargain or a dog, or with nothing. I think it's referred to as "fun"!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote