SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-17, 05:01 PM   #1
The Gnome

Default 650sy speedo, rev counter, fuel light.

Has anyone got to the source of the actual problem of the Speedo and rev counter having a dickie fit and the fuel light coming on and off. Now these were fine until I was giving it some stick ( flat out ) on a rather bumpy road. Since then occasionally they both work and then go off, even when stationary.
Old 01-09-17, 05:12 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: 650sy speedo, rev counter, fuel light.

year of SV might help.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 05:20 PM   #3
andy650

Its an SY (as per the title), so it'll be a 2000 model curvy.

My curvy had the fuel light coming on intermittently, no problems with speedo or rev counter though.

It turned out to be damage to the wiring loom, where it passes under the tank hinge. Common problem to get damage here, pretty easy to check, so worth a look.

My problems were worse when sitting on the bike, standing up made it less problematic, I assume my weight on the seat was causing it to short out, maybe that's why yours happened on a bumpy road?
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:32 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Also check and clean the Main electrical connectors.I use a combination of Servisol Switch Cleaner and then ACF50 and if needed a small blunt electrical screwdriver with some 500 grit paper wrapped around it to scrape corrosion off the pins and inside the sockets.
Old 02-09-17, 04:40 AM   #5
The Gnome

Cheers, I'm hoping it's just a dodgy connection, will attack it, when I get the time.
Old 03-09-17, 12:36 PM   #6
The Gnome

Checked all the main connectors, all nice and clean. While it was working and on the paddock stand, I blipped the throttle a few times to 3000 rpm and once again the rev counter stopped and fuel light came on, and when back at tick over fuel light off and rev counter back, tho occasionally could rev to 5000 rpm and nothing happened. Arrrrrgggghhhh. It does seem to be linked to revving engine....
Old 03-09-17, 01:43 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Checked all the main connectors, all nice and clean. While it was working and on the paddock stand, I blipped the throttle a few times to 3000 rpm and once again the rev counter stopped and fuel light came on, and when back at tick over fuel light off and rev counter back, tho occasionally could rev to 5000 rpm and nothing happened. Arrrrrgggghhhh. It does seem to be linked to revving engine....
Damn!
I feel your frustration.I hate tracking down these intermittent faults

Does sound like a bad connection somewhere letting the circuit break at certain revs/vibrations.
Old 04-09-17, 07:06 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I would definitely check the main connector on the starter relay. I had to replace mine this year as the main pin had moved as the casing had melted ever so slightly. I only really noticed by disconnecting it and examining it. About a week after it started playing up, it lost it altogether. They're not easy to find but I got one from a Scottish guy on ebay, in case you need:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-4-W...T/361976033014
I had to cut and crimp the main power wire but I was able to release the other pins and pop them straight into the new block.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 07:01 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

check battery connections and earth strap at back of engine block.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 02:05 PM   #10
Richon2Wheels

I've got a naked 2001 curvy. I've had issues with fuel light, dash panel etc. Turned out the wiring loom holder on the headstock had worn through the plastic wire casing.

Took headlight off, wrapped gorilla tape round wires, removed headstock harness & replaced with cable tie...no issues since!

Have a look under your bars around the headstock as it could be a dodgy chafed wire causing short etc.

Last edited by Richon2Wheels; 08-09-17 at 02:06 PM.