SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Rideouts & Meetings Arrange get togethers and rideouts

Old 20-08-11, 06:00 AM   #1
orose

Default 25th of September - Hands off my bike, EU

You'll probably have seen the e-mail below doing the circuit of forums at the moment, as well as articles appearing in the bike press. Recently, we saw the French doing one of the things they do oh so well, and getting out on their bikes to strike over point 7 below. Now, it's time for riders over here to stand up and be counted as well.

Quote:
However, it's not just the Regulation from Europe that will be effecting us soon. The 10 very real European issues that we still need to draw
attention to are:

1- The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.

2- Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.

3- Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.

4- OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...

5- RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.

6- The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"

So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe.

The Delegated Acts are the most scarey thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!

7- In solidarity with the French we need to be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.

8- Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.

9- All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the UK car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill-judged UK interpretations of EU licencing directives.

10- Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted even the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

I'd very much like you to put a mark in your diary on 25th September.
This will be before the IMCO vote.

Plans are afoot for something very special which I'll tell you about soon, but for now, please tell everyone you'll be busy that day and if they ride a bike, ask them to come and help you.

Our MEPs will be preparing to rubber stamp another Regulation put before them. This time they may all just stop to read it.
--
Kind regards
Paddy Tyson
Campaigns Co-ordinator MAG (UK) - Motorcycle Action Group
Sometimes it just makes you want to

Anyway, the something special that Paddy mentioned is starting to come to fruition now, so I'm inviting you for a nice little sunday ride to take in the local scenery up and down the country on the 25th of September. Further details will be appearing in various magazines over the next month, and start locations will be appearing in MCN closer to the time.
Old 20-08-11, 08:31 AM   #2
startrek.steve

Default Re: 25th of September - Hands off my bike, EU

More information please
Old 20-08-11, 09:05 AM   #3
widepants

nice day for a ride ...my birthday
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-11, 02:07 PM   #4
orose

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
More information please
Meet somewhere near you around 12 for a 1pm departure, and all groups will be hitting the road pretty much simultaneously riding at a nationally approved safe speed for about half an hour, then disappear again.

For you Steve, there is a group meeting on the A63 just before it becomes the M62 - East Yorkshire MAG are leading the way there.
Old 20-08-11, 02:15 PM   #5
Geodude
Mega Poster

Any idea if there is a group meet for the ride in the Durham area? also is this open to all riders not just mag members?

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-11, 04:15 PM   #6
orose

Open to all - the rules they're trying to bring in will apply to everyone, when it comes down to it.

I'm not aware of any specific meets up your way, but I'm sure there will be something going on - from what I've been told, most MAG groups will be out, and I'm sure they're not the only ones. It might be worth contacting MAG central office (http://www.mag-uk.org) and asking them, as I've been told there are also non-MAG members organising runs under the same umbrella action.
Old 20-08-11, 04:18 PM   #7
Geodude
Mega Poster

Cheers orose.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-11, 04:48 PM   #8
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
Meet somewhere near you around 12 for a 1pm departure, and all groups will be hitting the road pretty much simultaneously riding at a nationally approved safe speed for about half an hour, then disappear again.

For you Steve, there is a group meeting on the A63 just before it becomes the M62 - East Yorkshire MAG are leading the way there.
Yup, know the spot, cheers Oll, I'll be there, will the MAG lot merge with any ORGers groups?
Old 20-08-11, 04:54 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Why are they doing it on a sunday? Probably the least disruptive day of the week.
Old 20-08-11, 04:56 PM   #10
orose

I would have thought so - as I said, it's one of those days where it doesn't matter whether you're a member or not as long as you're out there.