SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-07, 07:04 PM   #1
Gnome

Default Indicators flashing too fast...

And no, they're not LED...

Bike's been pretty much stood for about a year, and I've rejuvinated it with some fresh petrol, and a quick charge-up of the battery.

Everything else works honkey-dory, but the indicators flash quickly.

I've checked loose connectors - there are none.

Checked the rear indicator wiring first, and that is all ok (grey plug to grey plug, and black to black plug).

Now up front, do the two wires from each indicator HAVE to be a specific way round?

Referring to my awesome picture, do wires A & B have to go to a specific wiring off the original connector block?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indicator.JPG (14.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-07-07, 07:08 PM   #2
ClemsonSV

Default Re: Indicators flashing too fast...

In my experience they do have to be a certain way, but it won't work if they're backwards. You might check to see if there is corrosion in one of the wire connectors, fast indicator to me means that one side is hooked up, but the ground side isn't. I DO have LEDs and I know that is why mine flash quickly, but the kit only had one wire to hook up to the indicators. I assume it is both sides, which strikes me as odd...you wouldn't think both sides would have the same problem at the same time if it were corrosion or lose connection on the ground side unless it is a problem inside the box in front of the tail light. Not sure if that helped, but that's all I got.

On another note. I prefer the quick flash as I have been told it is more noticable/annoying to other drivers.
Old 12-07-07, 07:14 PM   #3
Gnome

Possible side-affect of a low battery?

Quick flash will fail an MOT test over here though, I think...

I seem to remember between 60-120 flashes per minute was acceptable.
Old 12-07-07, 07:28 PM   #4
ClemsonSV

Not sure about the battery, I haven't had that problem.

I assume you tried unplugging and plugging back in of all the connectors, front and rear? Other than that I really don't know.

I used to have problems with the wires behind the headlight getting pinched and not working at all, but I couldn't see how that would make them flash quickly...hopefully somebody will hop on that can help you more than me.

Good luck and if you find out let us know.
Old 12-07-07, 07:28 PM   #5
chazzyb

Silly Q I know, but did you check the blubs?
Old 12-07-07, 07:33 PM   #6
Gnome

Yup - all bulbs working correctly, although one at the back seemed to have got it's wiring pinched between the seat plastics and undertray.

Sorted that, but they still flash too fast.

Read somewhere that lower wattage bulbs in some mini indicators would cause the same problem?
Old 12-07-07, 08:23 PM   #7
kwak zzr

i had 6w halogen indys and they flashed too fast, couldnt be bother'd fitting resistors so i just got 4 stock ones and put them on.
Old 12-07-07, 08:26 PM   #8
Gnome

21w bulbs are stock apparently, and these are possibly 10w?

Gonna see what the local bike shop have, and get a couple and see if it cures the problem...
Old 12-07-07, 08:40 PM   #9
muffles

10W bulbs will make it flash fast - I had 8W ones on my old SV before I went and bought some 23W (close enough to 21W) ones to cure it.
Old 12-07-07, 10:17 PM   #10
kwak zzr

i had trouble finding 21w bulbs for my minis.