SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-12, 09:17 AM   #1
s4mc0x

Default Curvy starting troubles.

Hi All,

I've been leafing through some of the old posts here, but haven't found something that's helped me yet. My SV ('99) is not starting; it has all the symptoms of a flat battery, slow, irregular crank, dies out and then it clicks. A bit of choke stops it even turning over. To try and sort this, I've had a new battery and new regulator-rectifier in recent weeks (I had assumed this was my problem), and it's been kept on a trickle charger since the beginning of the month.
If anybody might have heard of this before and can advise me, I'd be much obliged!

Happy Riding.
Old 16-04-12, 10:12 AM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Starting Issues

almost certainly as you say a knackered battery, or a loose or corroded connection somewhere.

Get yourself a set of jump leads and hook up the bike to a car battery with the car engine running. Assuming the leads are connected well the bike should jump into life, at the very least it should be spinning over vigorously on the starter. If it starts then get yourself a new battery.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 01:02 AM   #3
Richi3

Default Re: Curvy starting troubles.

check the harness running down the rhs of the bike under the seat and fuel tank found a fault in mine on that harness giving simular systems on cutting out the ignition circuits when trying to turn over
on my 99 Curvy took about 30 minuts to find and fix
Old 19-04-12, 12:32 PM   #4
mep

I too had starting problems recently and bought a brand new Yausa battery which I thought would sort it out as the old one was dead. This battery turned out to be a dud one and even though it read 12.85v it didn't have the power to turn over when the weather was really cold. I bought a Motobatt one from Wemoto which is cheaper and for me much better than the Yuasa. This instantly cured my problem. So as others have said get this checked out first to eliminate the battery from the equation.

I also did a full electrical check and got the choke cable and plugs changed as the cable was sticky and leaving one of the carbs with the choke on which had fouled the plug.

Sometimes it can be a combination of small problems. I too have a 99 curvy and everynow and then you need to give it a full going over and keep up with the essential servicing items.
mep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 12:55 PM   #5
ixlr8

or your starter motor/bushes.
ixlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 01:00 PM   #6
Kyleton7

This happend my sv04 I had a corroded pin or something. , might be worth a look
Old 28-09-12, 01:55 PM   #7
JonGeorge

Sounds exactly the same as my problems, I too have just had a new rec/reg and gel battery!