SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 16-11-20, 06:57 PM   #7431
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Nice, how did you meter for the first one?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 07:39 PM   #7432
yokohama

I honestly can't remember Johnny, some of the shots are from 2 and 3 years ago.
This one was from a winter hike up near Helmsley and there was lots of light and shadow. I think I metered using the camera's auto exposure, either locked it on the area I wanted to expose for (somewhere between the dark and the light) - or switched to manual and set it, and then took the shot. Or maybe I just got lucky. lol
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 07:42 PM   #7433
Kenzie

That forest shot is my fave, would make a really nice canvas print in my office! The Zarya arrived this morning, sadly the shutter doesn't work properly, the curtains have massive light leaks, the take up spool is missing and one of the film door catches is missing. Sorted it out with the seller, but a bit gutted as it took me ages to find one in Europe. Oh well. On another note, I managed to pick up a 15mm bodycap lens from London Camera Exchange, got outbid on a silver one in ebay but found a black one online for less than the silver one. Should be here tomorrow so I'll dig out the Pen to test it.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 09:20 PM   #7434
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

That's the sort of shot it's easy to ruin yoko, when the meter picks up the backlighting instead. I've got a minor obsession with backlit metering I think, the amount of time I've spent mucking around with fill flash.
I picked up an Ensign Autorange 16-20 a while ago from a local seller (the one on FB you saw kenzie), and a K1000, £50 for the pair. Put the Pentax on ebay, ends on Sunday night (de rigeur), three people already on it and at 16.50. If you want a laugh then look at sold prices - one went for a fixed price of something like 170. I'm pretty sure it'll achieve most or all of what i paid for the pair (the Ensign is worth about 130 anyway, but it's to keep) but the prices were so wild I thought I'd just let them figure it out themselves!
Old 16-11-20, 09:30 PM   #7435
Kenzie

You have an extra watcher, curious as to what it will go for.

Old 17-11-20, 06:35 PM   #7436
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

It's going nuts is what it is
Old 17-11-20, 06:39 PM   #7437
Kenzie

Blimey, that's a big jump since earlier! All the better for investing in more gear!

New to me lens arrived today, the thing is tiny! Lens cost more than the camera did!

Last edited by Kenzie; 17-11-20 at 07:09 PM.
Old 17-11-20, 08:25 PM   #7438
yokohama

That's a shame about the Zarya. Is it salvageable from a standard Fed or is that a no-no? I suppose shutter mechanisms will be different.
What are the images from the body cap lens like?
Old 17-11-20, 08:32 PM   #7439
Kenzie

From what I can tell, the Zarya was a stripped down version of the Fed 2, no rf or self timer. The film door from a Fed 2 will fit (I've tried) as will the take up spool, but I'm not sure about the curtains. I might bite the bullet and order some materials and ribbons from Aki Asahi and build a set. I also have a Zorki 1c that needs curtains too. The materials will be about $24 plus post. My only concern is getting the tension right and making sure that the shutter speeds are correct. Maybe a Christmas project?

No idea on images on the bcl yet, something for when they let us off the naughty step.

Last edited by Kenzie; 17-11-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 17-11-20, 08:51 PM   #7440
yokohama

I remember reading about shutter curtain replacement when I was fixing up my Fed. I think that would be beyond my capabilities. The weather this weekend is looking reasonable. I want to try and get out, maybe a final blast on the bike before I winterise it. For recreational use, exercise and mental health reasons.
I can't figure out this idea about only essential shops being open during the lockdown. The camera shop is closed but CEX, Rymans, Argos and some betting shops are still trading here.