SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-12-09, 06:29 PM   #1
radicalry00

Default Speedo is kaput

My speedo on the curvy stopped working today. It isn't registering any speed at all. A friend told me it is probably the speedo rotor on the front wheel? Anyone know how much a garage will charge to fit a new 'en because I haven't got a stand or anything to start messing about with it! Would like to get it sorted A.S.A.P. I'm in West Yorkshire if anyone knows any reputable garages.

Thanks, Ryan.
Old 03-12-09, 06:32 PM   #2
Rob969

Default Re: Speedo is kaput

I think this is the part, if you ordered it yourself all you need to do is pay for half an hours labour. thats what i'm looking at doing.
http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/sh...rts/43482.html
Old 03-12-09, 08:21 PM   #3
madnlooney

the rotor cost me £23 from dealer but labour im not sure what they would charge on top
Old 03-12-09, 08:41 PM   #4
husky03
Mega Poster

order the rotor from robinsons

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/sh...rts/index.html

and buy a front stand from ebay or m&p-get a manual and do it yourself-this way you learn about your bike and also start to accumulate the tools that as a biker you will benefit from having
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 11:30 PM   #5
beabert

instead of paying labour, buy a jack or stand.
Old 18-01-10, 03:24 PM   #6
radicalry00

Right I bought the rotor from Robinsons a couple of days ago but went to work on the bike this morning and the speedo is now working again!

Loose connection somewhere I think. Typical... I ordered a part that I don't even need ha.
Old 18-01-10, 03:45 PM   #7
kellyjo

Its sods law, its only working cos you got a replacement part, if you hadnt got one it still wouldnt be working, if you sell it on it'll stop working again
Old 19-01-10, 04:21 PM   #8
radicalry00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Its sods law, its only working cos you got a replacement part, if you hadnt got one it still wouldnt be working, if you sell it on it'll stop working again
Ha, funnily enough the speedo rotor arrived today and the speedo is no longer working.

Anyone know a probable cause? Is it unlikely to be the speedo rotor if it works occasionally? Probably a loose connection somewhere? Best way of going about diagnosing the problem?

Thanks, Ryan.