SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-09, 05:38 PM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Sump plug washer - where from?

just drained the oil, but the sump plug washer is FUBARD. where can I get another one? just go to a bike shop as ask for one? are they universal? also that goes for the filter removal tool, are they universal/should they be avaliable from a bike shop? cheers
Old 16-03-09, 05:42 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: oil change issue

The washer isn't completely necessary, the bolt will form a tight seal from about half way up the thread. The washer just serves to stop vibrations making the bolt come loose I suppose. But you can get them cheap enough from your local dealership.

The removal tool is universal (unless you opt for the suzuki one - but then it's universally suzuki). But there's a couple of different types of tool that work with the SV.

Baph's top tip, when you're next buying a filter, take it to the shop you intend to get the removal tool from. Then you'll know if it fits.
Old 16-03-09, 05:47 PM   #3
pencil shavings

cheers

I will take the filter along with me tomorrow
Old 16-03-09, 05:47 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

My dad puts a little bit of PTFE tape (the same stuff plumbers use) on my sump plug and crush washer to ensure a good seal. You could well do this to form a seal in place of the crush washer (the clutch cover bolts on my bike also all have PTFE tape to prevent oil seepage)...but really, its best to have a crush washer. take the bolt along to a vehicle supplies shop, they should be able to find you one. AFAIK, they are usualy copper or some other soft metal
Old 16-03-09, 05:50 PM   #5
thefallenangel

i'd imagine crush washers are universal. But the PFTE is a good idea espically for bleed nipples too.
Old 16-03-09, 06:47 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
My dad puts a little bit of PTFE tape (the same stuff plumbers use) on my sump plug and crush washer to ensure a good seal.
I do this on the bleed nipples, but there's far less chance of oil running down the threads, so I don't bother with the sump plug.

I think my bike is still on the original crush washer - after 37k miles. Though I wouldn't recommend anyone else do the same for the obvious reason that the service schedule says otherwise - and probably for a good reason.
Old 16-03-09, 07:19 PM   #7
Jester666

Default Re: Sump plug washer - where from?

The crush washer is named that for a reason. It crushes to make a tight seal. If you try to do the bolt up without a new washer you run the risk of stripping the thread.

It must be changed every time you undo the sump bolt. Once it is crushed it cannot be re-used.

Get them from www.sparesdirect.co.uk

Last edited by Jester666; 16-03-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 16-03-09, 10:28 PM   #8
scottjames

as jester says should be changed every time, for the price of them bout 70p its not worth the risk of over tighening your sump.
Old 16-03-09, 10:57 PM   #9
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
just drained the oil, but the sump plug washer is FUBARD. where can I get another one? just go to a bike shop as ask for one? are they universal? also that goes for the filter removal tool, are they universal/should they be avaliable from a bike shop? cheers
The Champion filter has a small hex than the generic Hi flo.I agree about using a new crush washer, although I still use the original and use a torque wrench to tighten
Old 16-03-09, 11:03 PM   #10
Jester666

It's all well and good using a torque wrench but the washer is still crushed and should be replaced (as you said but don't do? ) every time.

70p for a washer or how much for a re-thread of the sump? Easy option I think!