SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-08-19, 05:05 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Protective gear

During recent hot weather saw a few sportsbike riders wearing tee shirt, shorts and trainers......oh and a helmet..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 10:07 PM   #12
zsv650s

It's entirely up to individuals what they wear and I don't think nanny state should interfere anymore than it absolutely has to but you wouldn't catch me without full gear I've only ever fell off a pushbike at about 25mph and that bloody hurt enough.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 11:15 PM   #13
ethariel

Years ago i came off wearing normal jeans, opened up a 12 inch rip at the knee and a nice 6 inch laceration with half my kneeecap hanging out, 15 years later, similar off with kevlar and armour and i limped for a week or 2.

I'd like to say I learned a lesson.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 09:59 AM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
It's entirely up to individuals what they wear and I don't think nanny state should interfere anymore than it absolutely has to but you wouldn't catch me without full gear I've only ever fell off a pushbike at about 25mph and that bloody hurt enough.
It may well be up to individuals what they wear, but if they end up in NHS hospital taking up a bed and operating theatre that someone who has not 'self-harmed' needs - that is a different matter.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 09-08-19, 10:07 AM   #15
zsv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
It may well be up to individuals what they wear, but if they end up in NHS hospital taking up a bed and operating theatre that someone who has not 'self-harmed' needs - that is a different matter.
Tbf this is a good point but where does that reasoning end if we are not free too make mistakes we are not truly free.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 11:33 AM   #16
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Tbf this is a good point but where does that reasoning end if we are not free too make mistakes we are not truly free.
Indeed. You could argue that anyone who rides a motorcycle takes ten times the risk of a car driver and hence doesnt deserve NHS care when it all goes wrong, or anyone who drinks, ever smoked, eats the wrong food, plays rugby, goes sailing/swimming in the sea-------?????
That leaves only about four people who are entitled to the NHS and dont deserve it because they are boring.
Old 09-08-19, 12:06 PM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I agree.

Motorcycling is dangerous but we try and mitigate the risks by wearing protective gear (even if we find out now that it doesn't help). If people want the freedom to ride without gear that's ok but society shouldn't have to pay for their folly. There was a controversy recently with Hull hospitals where it was suggested that smokers or obese patients would have their operations delayed until they lost weight or stopped smoking. I think we are steadily losing our sense of individual responsibility but it's only my opinion and yours may differ.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:08 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If you don't wear your protective gear at work and have an accident you get a warning, do it again and you get your P45..life is full of risk and some activities are more risky than others which is why sensible people wear the gear for the job, I do not call tee shirt and shorts with trainers anywhere near appropriate for riding a powerful sports bike..

Old 09-08-19, 03:29 PM   #19
Heorot

I wear proper gear when riding in this country, but I ride a 150cc scooter when at our home in Turkey to potter around the local villages. If I wore full gear over there, I would die of heatstroke. T-shirt and shorts but I do wear a helmet.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 04:04 PM   #20
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
If I wore full gear over there, I would die of heatstroke.
"Mesh" gear might suit?

For example: https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-15.../dp/B00U37EC6S

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-15.../dp/B00U37FWN0
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote