SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-06, 05:39 PM   #1
andyb

Default Rain Covers

Has anyone got any recommendations on rain covers. What have you got? In what size for a SV650S and where did you get yours?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 17-03-06, 06:26 PM   #2
Kate

I've got a Oxford Stormex which is pretty damn good, I haven't had any problems with it yet.

I notice Infinity have got a sale going on for the Oxford Rainex, looks pretty similar to the Stormex - http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...p?ProductID=20
Old 17-03-06, 06:28 PM   #3
Jelster

I've got one from HG, it was about £30 and can won't melt on the end can....

Which reminds me, I'd better go and start the 'Blade up tomorrow

Old 17-03-06, 06:56 PM   #4
JediGoat

I've got the HG too, and it does the job fine for me - my main concern is covering the bike up to stop annoying kids messing with it. I do end up with condesation on the bike some mornings, but that's probably because I throw the cover on whilst the bike is still hot.

The HG one doesn't have the soft lining that some of the more expensive ones have - but I had one of those before, and eventually the soft lining rips into strands of fluff, and you end up riding down the street with your bike looking like it's out of a lenor advert, trailing strands of fluff behind you. Not a good image, IMHO.

Jo -> not fluffy
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-06, 07:16 PM   #5
andyb

Thanks guys,

I mainly need mine to keep the kids away too! Dont want them fiddling do we now! Will pop down to HG and have a look. Do the oxford ones come in various sizes? DO you guys just tie the bottom together to keep it on in the wind?
Old 17-03-06, 07:36 PM   #6
JediGoat

The HG cover has a pathetic bit of string hanging down, which I don't bother using.

I've got some nylon twine from B&Q. I just cut off a length, and seal the cut end with a lighter. I normally tie one piece around behind the petrol tank, going under the bike behind the side stand. If it's really windy, I tie another piece through the eyelets at the front of the cover, through the front wheel, and across in front on the tank. It stops the wind getting under the cover.

The only thing that's missing on the HG cover is any reflectors or scotchlite. For me, it's not a problem, as my bike is on the pavement, but the HG covers are matt black, so be careful if parking on the road (or stick some scotchlite tape to the cover).

HTH
Jo
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-06, 08:13 PM   #7
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

stoke on trent company... its like mike baldwins factory rows and rows of machines when u go in..
I have one of their covers and it is absolutely superb

DB covers ...

they have webiste..

I highly reccomend them- they do mail order too..!

cant put a link in cos I am thick !
Old 17-03-06, 08:35 PM   #8
andyb

Thanks for the avice guys. Have ordered a Oxford Stormex cover. Good idea about tying cord around the bike and cover will have to get some.
Old 18-03-06, 01:07 PM   #9
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
Thanks for the avice guys. Have ordered a Oxford Stormex cover. Good idea about tying cord around the bike and cover will have to get some.
The stormex has a buckle like this which does up under the bike to stop it flapping around

Although i never bother cos the elastic around the bottom keeps it tight enoughwhich you do up under the bike to stop it flapping around.
Old 18-03-06, 01:09 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

same as the DB covers one E.D..

but I aint checked prices lately