SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 12-08-10, 06:53 PM   #51
Specialone

Default Re: I need training...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Perfect definition.

So when you're riding along the road that you aren't comfortable with, where does this technique go wrong? If you're comfortable with this in the car and on larger roads, what happens on smaller roads?

Becasue using that should see you right. Are you diverting your attension to other things such as gravel, cow pats etc that is preventing you from watching the vanishing points?

C
Yeah a little bit, but even on good corners, better riders than me are taking them 30mph faster.
Im not about doing 80 on every road on every corner, just wanna be mid pack rather than towards the back if you know what i mean.

Like i said earlier, it is more mental, once i feel comfortable at speed under a big lean it will take away the uncertantly and allow me to focus on other stuff.
Old 12-08-10, 06:55 PM   #52
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

So you know problem, go sort it. Only way you get this is by practice at what you need to do.
Track will be great for that.

Or, dare I say it... go ride the fackin bike!
Old 12-08-10, 06:58 PM   #53
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
So you know problem, go sort it. Only way you get this is by practice at what you need to do.
Track will be great for that.

Or, dare I say it... go ride the fackin bike!
I only think i know the problem

In fairness, i do ride as much as i can, but feel i have reached a plateau and need help to go further.
Old 13-08-10, 06:51 AM   #54
Berlin

Progress!

So it looks like its the relationship (or lack of) between what you are seeing as vanishing points and the mental link in throttle position and brakes.

If you like, your "ride by wire" system is switching mode on smaller roads. Its going from normal to rain mode! Or even to broken mode!

This relationship usually develops with time and experience but something has happened to alter the relationship between vanishing point and throttle position and and brake in these situations that you find uncomfortable and this leads to nervousness (which then closes the loop and the more nervous you are the more the relationship is affected)

And I'd suggest that a track session will allow you to "recalibrate" this relationship and should build your confidence that the system can be recalibrated.

Cadwell and Oulton are probably the best places as they most resemble the roads that are causing the problem. Vanishing points everywhere on small, narrow roads with trees and hills.

A Novice session with an instructor at either of these tracks would allow you to increased the rate of application of your "ride by wire" relationship between vanishing point and throttle/brakes.

The idea of the track day is NOT to see how fast you can go around the track but how smoothly. Repetition of smooth will recalibrate your Sight/Action relationship and should lead to a better transfer once you are back on the road. You need to recalibrate your resudual muscle memory so when your mind sees X it gets used to doing Y subconciously.

Its a bit like adaption to a Race configuration gearbox. Everything is reversed and it takes time for the body to accept that the new system is the norm. But it should be easily achievable in a day.

(I've been coaching for about 11 years and love this stuff )

C