SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-12-11, 08:05 PM   #11
skeetly

Default Re: How not to ride on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post

Me! They may be damn talented riders and fantastic on a track, there's no doubting their skills handling a bike, but the thread title is "How not to ride on the road?".
But they're not just 'riding on the road'
They were ragging them around for the mag.
As they are not normal humans they (probably) have the skills and reflexes to sort it out even if they are riding like tits.
I think they have big enough balls to not be afraid of crashing anyway.
I mean; it's not like the incident shown taught anyone a lesson is it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s97QN5MU-pE

edit: I wouldn't/couldn't do *any* of that stuff....
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 08:12 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

F***IN LUNATICS! DAMNED IRRESPONSIBLE!

They spent most of the time in that vid on the wrong side of road...
Old 12-12-11, 08:17 PM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Rob Frost, hearing the bike decking out like that on a track is fine, because you are there to ride the bike right to the limit, that's racing. But to hear that constantly on the road and choose not to heed the warning, then bin it as a result, you've got to be a bit of a prat.

Road riding, especially riding at close quarters in a group of bikes, takes a completely different set of skills, and those skills are about how you use your noodle, not how well you can handle the bike, and those guys in that video, were sh!t. You can't just take skills off the race track and dump them on the road, with no adjustment.
Aye, don't take a firestorm and try and keep up with a tiller and a duke, it's not even in same class. Should have brought an SP1 to play. He must be pretty good to have done as well as he did though.
But anyway it looks like he lost the front on the brakes, not running out of ground clearance.

Re. that second bit, I can't say you're wrong, but a load of fast, safe advanced riding would make a really sh*t video. I wish I could say "meh I've done worse", but I can't cos I'm not that good at riding a bike
Old 12-12-11, 08:17 PM   #14
Specialone

Complete p****s, end of.
Old 12-12-11, 08:21 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Another prize one:
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

It's not big and it's not clever, but I would oh so love an SB8R...
Just listen... Oh dear me...
Old 12-12-11, 08:45 PM   #16
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Complete p****s, end of.
So why post a thread with a question mark if you've already made your mind up about the whole thing? Did you just want a big groupwank of agreement and general "merrrr"ing?
Old 12-12-11, 09:00 PM   #17
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Re. that second bit, I can't say you're wrong, but a load of fast, safe advanced riding would make a really sh*t video
It would have made Shakey even faster though, if he could combine a bit of anticipation and planning along with his riding ability. Wouldn't be running into the back of folk all the time for a start.
Old 12-12-11, 09:05 PM   #18
Bluefish

great vid chris, right up untill they crashed.
Old 12-12-11, 10:19 PM   #19
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
So why post a thread with a question mark if you've already made your mind up about the whole thing? Did you just want a big groupwank of agreement and general "merrrr"ing?
Chris, before coming out with smart ass remarks, Is it possible i was commenting on skeetlys video?

I had made my own mind of my original video, the question mark was asking other people's views, I know how I feel about tw4ts riding like that on public roads, as these videos prove, they normally end up with a crash or worse.
Old 12-12-11, 11:05 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I know there are those that are going to argue that they only chucked it away to their nearside into the scenery and not into oncoming traffic so only put themselves at risk but that's complete rubbish I'm afraid. The truth is they were lucky enough to get away with it on right handers because they had the luxury of available tarmac there to absorb their mistake. Look at 6 mins into the second clip posted by YC and you'll see what I mean.

Videos like this are great fun to watch and will always sell, but there's no excuse for not making them professionally. They had all the right gear, some of the right talent, and all the right roads, just not the sense of responsibility to combine them safely. As someone has already said being a good racer doesn't make you a good road rider, and I have to challenge the remark that you can't make safe advanced riding exciting because you most definitely can.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote