SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 18-01-08, 03:57 PM   #21
tranx

Default Re: Open pitlane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
IMHO at least ten!.

You WILL be out with people ALOT quicker than you.

On a normal day mixing the novice group riders with the Advanced group would send most people into a brown bag moment!.
There will almost always be people faster than you, however some people will be fine after only 1 or 2 sessioned days/

I did my first trackday at Pembrey with Phil Beven, started in the inters and was running with the front pace by the end of the day. Went back again a year later with Focused Events for my 2nd track day and was running mid pack in the fast group on a 60hp bike with no ground clearence.

It also depends on the other people there on the day. I was faster on my 2nd outing but there were also far less REALLY good people at the 2nd day, which flattered me as I know I'm no Rossi.

Like graeme said it's down to the rider and how fast they pick up their track craft. Some people would be fine after a single sessioned day and others will never be.
Old 18-01-08, 03:59 PM   #22
SV650Racer

Its those that will never be that worry me!. Who is to say they wont feel fit to go out open pitlane..with the advanced guys. Its not even about how quick you are. Its how you react to things happening on track. IMHO Nobody is go to know how to deal with the majority of situations after 1 day on track. They might think they will. Thats when accidents happen.

You only need one idiot!.

IMHO i stick to open pitlane abroad or ACU only. Far far safer.
Old 18-01-08, 04:19 PM   #23
tranx

Too true, its not the speed but how they deal with things that makes the difference.
Old 18-01-08, 09:04 PM   #24
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why is an eejit more dangerous on an open pitlane day than on a sessioned day? Or is it just the fact that they will never be in the fast group on a sessioned day?
Old 18-01-08, 09:33 PM   #25
tranx

It's because on an open pitlane day they will be riding at the same time as the fast guys. Even I can find it a bit intimidating to have someone fly up the inside of me if I wasn't expecting it, for a novice it might make them do something stupid that endds up with you both coming off.
Old 19-01-08, 07:31 AM   #26
Balky001
Mega Poster

I saw the open put lane days on a website and thought they must have got it wrong as its usually car days.

I'm not sure mixing abilities is a good idea, its bad enough when you get novice coming up to inters/fast due to bravardo or fast moving down so they can show off. Also, most novice/inters don't have warmers (so when they are in groups they all have cold tyres at the beginning of the session) so in March you'll get less experienced people thiniking they can mix it coming out of pit with those on hot rubber. Bet you'll get the 'I've paid for all day so I'm staying out all day' riders as well.

That said, might do Brands
Old 19-01-08, 03:59 PM   #27
Blue_SV650S

Open pitlane rocks

My first ever trackday was open pitalne, it was 'guest invite only' names-not-down-not-coming-in (my mate had a mate who hired the track for a day - to recoup some of the costs invited a few mates/punters along) it was great!

The coolest thing is that after the first hour or so, most people have been out at least once, then people just tend to come in and out as and when, quite often the natural flow (some come in some go out) means there are only a handful of people on the track at any one time! ... I don't know the real figures, but it seems as I was out 90% of the day!! ... only stopping for a few mins break when I could barely move any more ... a 5 min recharge and I was out again ... for another as-long-as-I-can-bear! ... no waiting about for your session getting bored/frustrated ... LOVED it

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 19-01-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 19-01-08, 05:11 PM   #28
Lozzo

I'm nowhere near the fastest rider out on track, upper end of Inters is where I'm comfiest, but the thought of being on the same piece of track as a total newbie doesn't make me feel good. I always give plenty of room when passing, but I've had very experienced riders move way way across and get too close for comfort without even realising, because they don't think anyone will be going faster than them through that particular corner in their group.

I'd imagine a novice would be making the very most of however much his open pitlane day costs and staying out too long for their own good, getting tired/pumped up, brain-fried and taking chances. I'll stick to sessioned days I think - at least I know roughly who's out there with me and what to expect.
Old 19-01-08, 06:13 PM   #29
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
.... the thought of being on the same piece of track as a total newbie doesn't make me feel good. ....
If you read the details Focused are supplying (should have provided a direct link first off I suppose rather than a partial cut and stick- my bad ) it says with restricted numbers & no first timers, so this should elevate your initial concerns about there being total noobs out there!

Read the full blurb here:- http://www.focusedevents.com/news_info.asp?ID=121

Oh and as for people staying out until they are knackered/making mistakes, making it dangerous, I strongly disagree!!! If anything I think this is less likely if the person knows that if the went in at the first sign of tiredness, they could have a quick break and go back out again (and not have to potentially wait 40 mins for their next session/be missing their session) ... its great, ride until you are feeling knackered (be this 5 mins or 50) and come in ... recoup (be this 5 mins or 50) and go back out again!!!

Its a cracking Idea

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 19-01-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 20-01-08, 05:05 PM   #30
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Oh and as for people staying out until they are knackered/making mistakes, making it dangerous, I strongly disagree!!! If anything I think this is less likely if the person knows that if the went in at the first sign of tiredness, they could have a quick break and go back out again
Blue, weren't you out 90% of the time on your first one though? You're obviously super fit!

That Brands day looks tempting, think I'll keep an eye on the weather though before booking