SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 22-03-10, 07:47 AM   #11
Berlin

Default Re: Anyone use Michelin power one tyres (road/track)? and other questions

I had a chace to test the Power Ones back to back with Racetecs yesterday and to put it in potted form, the Power Ones definitely have most overall grip. The Racetecs started to slide quite a bit before the Power Ones did. The Power Ones require a much more sophisticated suspension set up. The bike responds to bumps more and shook its head more on the power ones. Running at 31 front 21 rear (both cold)

I had another big left hander slide on the Power Ones on lap 2 so this confirms that you need to warm up the left side for two laps before going for it (on a clockwise course). Not good when racing! This is after them being in the warmers for over an hour too so when I say warm up I mean toast them! The Racetecs ended up sliding everywhere but in a very controlled manner. I was able to slide the rear at will and even stop it from sliding by moving my weight back an inch as it started to spin. fantastic level of control.

It was also a lot easier to set up the bike for Racetecs. I ended up running the rear at 29.5 hot (down from 35.5 hot, 29.5 cold) and 31 hot front (29 cold).

So the Racetecs have less overall grip but have a huge window of warning when they are close to the edge allowing you to spend more time there than on the Power ones.

Irionically I was lapping quicker on the Racetecs with less grip becasue you could find their limits more easily. I'll be trying them both back to back again at Croft on Friday which is even bumpier than East Fortune.

Last edited by Berlin; 22-03-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 23-04-10, 12:16 AM   #12
monkey

Default Re: Anyone use Michelin power one tyres (road/track)? and other questions

Thanks for your posts in here. I've got my first trackday this year on Monday. I can't believe the pressures Michelin recommend. They seem so low but I rang someone in the Triumph Triple challenge and he confirmed them for me. I've got tyre warmers booked up as the Soho oracle suggested the tyres would be horrible for several laps before they're hot enough to work properly.

Here's hoping for a good one.
Old 23-04-10, 02:11 AM   #13
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
It was also a lot easier to set up the bike for Racetecs. I ended up running the rear at 29.5 hot (down from 35.5 hot, 29.5 cold) and 31 hot front (29 cold).

So the Racetecs have less overall grip but have a huge window of warning when they are close to the edge allowing you to spend more time there than on the Power ones.
Weird - I run exactly the same pressures on Racetecs! Must be the sweet spot as I experimented a bit with pressures and this was the conclusion:

31 Front, 29 Rear - Hot
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote