SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 11-08-10, 07:24 PM   #11
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: I need training...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
You could try these people, especially the Supermoto dates if he's running any more. I know several people who have used them and had a brilliant day out.

http://www.i2imca.com/index.htm
That looks really good actually, will keep that in mind.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 07:37 PM   #12
Milky Bar Kid

YO Speci!

I agree that something like IAM and ROSPA will be beneficial. They don't just teach obs, they teach you how to approach bends, and read them and how to take which ever line you need and how to deal with a bend which may tighten or if you need to change your line because of an unexpected hazard.

I don't really get how a trackday will help your particular problem? Sure a trackday will help you with cornering on a big wide open piece of road where you have full view but it won't help with those tight little bends...

Just MHO.
Old 11-08-10, 07:39 PM   #13
Whitty

I did the mick boddice track training at a darley moor circuit, small groups on their cbr600rr's. Think it was about £200 but dont quote me on that. I enjoyed it, there was plenty track time unlike alot of other schools. I have heard Ron Haslams hardly has any track time.
Old 11-08-10, 08:04 PM   #14
TazDaz

How about track training and road training?

Track riding definitely improves bike control and you learn what your tyres can take.
Old 11-08-10, 08:15 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I don't really get how a trackday will help your particular problem? Sure a trackday will help you with cornering on a big wide open piece of road where you have full view but it won't help with those tight little bends...
Not all tracks are like this, half of them you can't see the apex, or the braking zone, or where exactly the exit is.

So it's fook all good for the road. EXCEPT knowing just how far below of the limits you are on the road, which is a ridiculous amount, helps stop the panic response of standing the bike up.

Read roadcraft, go play. Find some mates who know how to ride who are willing to drop their pace to within 10% of yours and go keep up with them.
Old 11-08-10, 08:15 PM   #16
Whitty

Yeah, you can concentrate on feel of bike rather than target fixating on dry stone walls and lampposts.
Old 11-08-10, 08:16 PM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
IAM may be the best start before start spending out on track days
IAM is bloody expensive. £150? get 2 track days for that if you are shopping around.
Old 11-08-10, 08:16 PM   #18
lily

but no track surface is like public road?!
Old 11-08-10, 08:20 PM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
but no track surface is like public road?!
To an extent, tarmac is tarmac. You're still riding the bike around a corner. The tarmac is a tiny bit better but the limit just changes a bit, you still FIND the limit in the same way.

All of biking is comparison, there is no absolute. Like setup of bike, you only know good from bad if you try bad first then experience good.

For someone on first few trackdays coming from very fast road, limit is in exactly same place as far as you notice.

To elaborate a bit more, as that's cryptic:
VERY FEW accidents on the road are anything to do with the absolute grip available!
Most are when someone bricks themselves and GRABS the brake mid corner and stands the bike up. This will make you crash on a track too! Just the same as going into a corner 20% too fast... 5% more grip means you are still 15% in the sh*t.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 11-08-10 at 08:22 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 08:22 PM   #20
DMC

I agree youll be better off starting with road based training. This will help with your obs and hazard perception, which is where I believe your fear of gravel and greasy roads come from. Reading the road ahead is the key, being in the right position, at the right speed and being able to deal with the unexpected.

A roadcraft course with a good training school would be your best starting point. Do a bit of research to find the right school with the best instructor in your area (sorry, cant help you there).

Track based training can definately help you to corner, but it wont be as helpful with the obs and perception aspects, which is where I think your main problems lie.