SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-11, 01:06 PM   #1
Fifteen15

Default Protecting her over the winter

How do you protect your SV over the winter? Obviously with the wetter weather, the bike is more susceptible to corrosion.

I have heard ACF50 is good for preventing rust. Where would you spray it? Just on the engine parts or on the paint/body work too? And how often?

Sorry for the nooby question, as you can tell this is my first bike and my first winter owning a bike

Thanks.
Old 06-10-11, 01:17 PM   #2
Reeder

Default Re: Protecting her over the winter

Just make sure you don't get it on your brakes...
Old 06-10-11, 01:51 PM   #3
missyburd

I wouldn't spray the seats. Or the grips.

This might be a helpful read.
Old 06-10-11, 02:01 PM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Never used ACF.. cos I don't get it for free!

Copious amounts of WD40 on the otherhand....

Once the salt is down, I spray engine cases, subframe, fork legs and swingarm (do not spray any on discs or chain/sprockets) even exhaust brackets. I will scoosh on more every couple of days getting a crust on the bike. It looks ginging but works. Usually get some Scottoiler FS365 in there as well although I do not rate it at all by itself.
Come Xmas I wash the crud off with GUNK degreaser and clean, then more of the same again, coating it for next 3months.

I will oil (3-1 does) back brake and gear lever pivots as they get "sticky" from all the crud.

I will put a decent polish on the bodywork (Autoglym), coupla coats and leave.

With the hindsight of running the SV through winter I would say a hugger is essential for keeping the back end away from the crud as much as possible.

Vaseline or similar any exposed connectors i.e. my heated grips (those grips are essential!)

The only maintenance above normal I will do, is an occasional chain clean with parrafin. And use normal chain lube as I have found it works a lot better than the posh clear stuff for gold chains etc. during winter.
Also the cheapy sliding brake calipers need regular attention or they tend to get sticky. Big can of brake cleaner and I get scrubbing.

Unfortunately its a downward spiral if you choose to run a bike through winter concerning its "looks". Think my SV has been through 5 winters and only due to using only the mentioned FS365 solely one year, I have now got some engine case piant flakeyness and had a subframe re-spray cos of never having a hugger fitted.

Right I need to get some work done....
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 04:50 PM   #5
fergie1471

I wont be riding mine over the winter so any advise about what’s best when keeping it stored in the garage for months? I know nothing about bikes as iv just started riding so and advise on maintenance will be helpful. Iv heard of people putting a trickle charger on the battery over the winter but that’s about as knowledgeable i am about bikes. ha
Old 06-10-11, 06:58 PM   #6
-Ralph-

Clean it, SORN it, stick it in the garage. Works a treat for me.
Old 07-10-11, 06:02 AM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

This is what happens if you dont do anything other than wash it over the winter. I am going to buy some ACF this year, cant afford to renew everything next year.

mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 08:37 AM   #8
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergie1471 View Post
I wont be riding mine over the winter so any advise about what’s best when keeping it stored in the garage for months? I know nothing about bikes as iv just started riding so and advise on maintenance will be helpful. Iv heard of people putting a trickle charger on the battery over the winter but that’s about as knowledgeable i am about bikes. ha
There are LOADS of threads on this on the forum, do a search for winter storage or winter storing.

Same goes for advise on winter protection.
Old 09-10-11, 02:10 PM   #9
Risenphoenix08

Smile Re: Protecting her over the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ralph- View Post
clean it, sorn it, stick it in the garage. Works a treat for me.
lol. +1
Old 09-10-11, 02:24 PM   #10
skeetly

acf50.
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote