SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-08-06, 02:21 PM   #1
creamerybutter

Default Bringing kit back from the US.

It it for a while be the misses and I are going to America/Canada for our honeymoon next summer by which point my Lid will be a bit long in the tooth. With the recent story about the American snell test being much tougher than the EU tests on lids i was thinking of getting one while I was out there plus it should be cheaper. What I don't know it what I would get charged when I got back, I don't think we pay VAT on safety equipment but I am not sure if Lids are included.

Has anyone brought kit back from abroad before?
Old 24-08-06, 03:00 PM   #2
Baph

Buy the lid over the pond, and wear it on your way back. Also, keep looking at your watch & making jokes with the missus. When you eventually get on the plane, make sure you read the emergency leaflet, and check about 5 times to make sure your life jacket is there. To ensure you don't have to pay import duty, you might find that putting gunpowder in the soles of your shoes helps to fend the security guards off.

Oooo look, my coat just arrived
Old 24-08-06, 03:09 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

If you make out like it's yours and not just bought, then the issue won't arise.
As an aside, when I flew Southampton to Bradford on a 12 seater a couple of months ago, my helmet was one of the few things they let on board as hand luggage, I think even lap tops were being taken off people at the steps and put in the hold as there was no room in the plane but I think they acknowledged the seriousness of carrying your helmet yourself.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-06, 03:10 PM   #4
CoolGirl

hmm. i was thinking about travellng by air with a lid. I reckon if you just carry it in an ordinary (proably your usual, used) lid bag as carry-on, you'll be fine. Take all the obvious stickers off and if anyone asks you say you've been touring and brung it out with you - they won't have any record of it.

Not that I'd ever condone evading tax payment (honest Lyn!). not even when I bought a v expensive handbag back from across the pond and just happened to be using it, so customs never twigged.
Old 24-08-06, 04:26 PM   #5
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

I'm fairly certain that all this may be immaterial - due to the fact that the SNELL test regime / certification is not recognized over here.

You might want to check out whether or not it's still an offence to wear anything other than a EC / BS certified lid before you spend your money on something you can't legally use.

As I say, I'm FAIRLY certain - not positive. I know this used to be the case because the good old Simpson Bandit was SNELL certified but did not pass British Standards (due to the size of the visor I think) & was therefore illegal.
Old 24-08-06, 08:27 PM   #6
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl
Not that I'd ever condone evading tax payment (honest Lyn!). not even when I bought a v expensive handbag back from across the pond and just happened to be using it, so customs never twigged.
We dont have to, we just wait til everyone 'fesses up in threads like this...

There will be no VAT on a lid as they are Zero Rated here - all compulsory safety equipment is ZR.

The main issue is whether it complies with UK law. Or if HMRC think youre smuggling drugs in it, they can in theory destroy it without having to compensate you.
Old 25-08-06, 04:50 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
they can in theory destroy it without having to compensate you.
Thought that was only if they found something? I guess I stand corrected.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-06, 05:23 PM   #8
UlsterSV

I believe Supervox is right. I brought a helmet over from America for alot cheaper than what it would have cost here but the local mechanic told me they aren't legal here and could possibly invalidate my insurance. But I think it might just be a case of getting the right stickers on it...
Old 29-08-06, 10:19 AM   #9
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
I'm fairly certain that all this may be immaterial - due to the fact that the SNELL test regime / certification is not recognized over here.

You might want to check out whether or not it's still an offence to wear anything other than a EC / BS certified lid before you spend your money on something you can't legally use.

As I say, I'm FAIRLY certain - not positive. I know this used to be the case because the good old Simpson Bandit was SNELL certified but did not pass British Standards (due to the size of the visor I think) & was therefore illegal.
Aye this was pointed out to me by my sister at the weekend but I still think I will look into it especially as I have seen a few Simpson Bandits around latley. Thing is both my sisters and girfiends lids have labels with Kitemarks on them but mine only has the British motorcycle sport gold sticker does that mena my lid it technically illegal or is just a gold sticker ok? It's annoying as the EU tests are sh*te and as far as i am concerned the US lids will be perfectly safe.
Old 29-08-06, 11:21 AM   #10
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox

Aye this was pointed out to me by my sister at the weekend but I still think I will look into it especially as I have seen a few Simpson Bandits around latley. Thing is both my sisters and girfiends lids have labels with Kitemarks on them but mine only has the British motorcycle sport gold sticker does that mena my lid it technically illegal or is just a gold sticker ok? It's annoying as the EU tests are sh*te and as far as i am concerned the US lids will be perfectly safe.
I should have said ORIGINAL Simpson Bandit - they now do one that IS legal over here.