SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-14, 05:56 PM   #11
Kenzie

Default Re: Cagers attitude towards Bikers!

You said it yourself. BMW driver. Nuff said. Just ride like everyone is out to kill you and you should be ok. The amount of bad driving I see out and about makes you wonder how these people passed in the first place.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 06:21 PM   #12
dkid

Default Cagers attitude towards Bikers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
BMW driver. Nuff said

I bet the driver of the bmw came out with an equally inaccurate generalisation along the lines of "biker, nuff said" when he was telling his mates about the incident.

We bikers don't like being tarred with the same brush as a minority of kn0bs on two wheels so why do we do it when talking about car drivers? I bet a large proportion of bikers also drive cars and are very courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post

Something to think about though is on the journey before that run in how many tens or hundreds of car drivers did you pass with absolutely no issue OR even perhaps them making room for you? We look at a lawn and see the one weed among all the grass.
+1

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by dkid; 07-05-14 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 06:34 PM   #13
Daffy_Duck

people in cars are always a night mare they either sick of being in traffic and want to knock you off or get in your way...... Or worse totally oblivious to out existence!

I always make sure I know what people are playing at. We are the squishy ones at the end of the day. Ride safe for your self!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-14, 06:48 PM   #14
dkid

Default Cagers attitude towards Bikers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post
people in cars are always a night mare they either sick of being in traffic and want to knock you off or get in your way.

Not true. If every car driver on the road was out to get you, You wouldn't make it to the end of your street. I agree we are more vulnerable and should be more cautious accordingly but that's all it is.

The percentage of car drivers who are d1cks is probably the same as the percentage of bikers who are d1cks. There are just more cars on the road than bikes. And the ones who are idiots don't discriminate, they are a pain in the arz to other car drivers, cyclists, etc, etc...

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-05-14, 07:38 PM   #15
rb8989

Could have happened to anyone, I keep away from cars as much as I can, less chance of them hitting you that way.

No point getting wound up, for every car that ****es me off I probably **** 10 off filtering, some drivers hate being passed whilst they sit like lemons, such is life.
Old 07-05-14, 07:39 PM   #16
Daffy_Duck

True true.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-14, 08:00 PM   #17
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I would struggle to remember the last time I was really upset by a car driver. It may be that I'm just a whole lot luckier than you are, or perhaps it's just a matter of how we view things. As has been well said on here there are some right idiots out there in cars, but equally the same can be said of some riders.

There were plenty of clues in your OP, ask yourself why he is dithering. When someone is going unusually slowly they are usually either looking for somewhere to go, or are unsure of where they are, want to go. Either way their attention is not likely to be on what might be passing them, especially if it's only a narrow gap and they don't "think bike". Generally if there is somewhere for a car to go, then expect them to go for it and don't put yourself in their way. If another driver does something unexpectedly then I tend to take the view that it was my fault for not expecting it.......and I try not to make the same mistake twice.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 08:09 PM   #18
The Idle Biker

Obi feckin wan kenobi.
Old 07-05-14, 08:14 PM   #19
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Biker View Post
Obi feckin wan kenobi.
Yeah, and don't I have a boring life.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 08:25 PM   #20
Juju

Second Mr Herring.

Essentially, every time you choose to pass someone, it's your decision to do so. Ensure you have a plan, each time. Ensure you have given enough time to observe hazzards. To be honest, why pass someone in a car park? There were enough clues. You'll soon learn people doing 28 in a 30 and close to a centreline are about to turn right, and that the car just appearing to your left is going to pull out because you didn't make eye contact to ensure he's seen you and you him, so slow and cover your brake.

Bikers, generally, are not hit in the rear by cars (ok, some, but its far less common than car to car). Almost any car/bike collision, is a car pulling out from the left whilst the biker is filtering at a road junction, or a car turning right into a minor road as the biker filters past. Be super cautious filtering, choosing to only pass when you have clear sight of hazzards, enough room, and you'll probably be ok. Even just riding down the road, give yourself room for opening doors, and check briefly all parked cars or queuing cars in a lane when yours is free, for exhaust plume and turned front wheels for the taxi thats about to u turn or change lanes - You'll have largely covered 90% of the claims from bikers I deal with.

Me, I'd have sat behind the dithery driver who in a car park, was, er, looking to park... its a bit of a give away really....