SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Given the choice, would you wear a helmet?
Yes, I would wear a helmet, all the time. 69 86.25%
No, I'm a rebel, I'd ignore the risk 1 1.25%
Sometimes, depends on circumstances 8 10.00%
If Keith D doesn't wear one, I won't... 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-14, 07:57 PM   #31
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Default Re: If helmets weren't compulsory, would YOU wear one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Being a sane and rational adult
It's alright for some. We can't all be like you

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 08:40 PM   #32
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
As title.
Interested in the answer, the few states in America that helmet wearing isn't compulsory, a lot of riders don't wear them.

'merica
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:06 PM   #33
Juju

I don't think it's nanny state to insist on a helmet, where if you fall off, you expect

1 - Your immediate trauma care to be provided, free of charge.
2 - Your immediate and long term needs to be met by the state.

If you can't be arsed to pay £100 for helmet, why should I pay 24% of my salary in taxes every month to among other things, fund the ambulance who took you to hospital, the nurses, doctors and surgeons who treated you, and the DSS who then paid you benefits to enable you (and your family who relied upon you, and now rely upon us) to have some sort of lifestyle.

IF you promise that if the event of an obviously preventable loss, your costs will not be required to be met by the state (us) and this mitigated (minimised) then go ahead, don't wear a helmet, and I hope you enjoy soup. You mught end up drinking more of it than anticipated.

And if its a non fault accident, and your claim is worth millions, but if it were not for the helmet you'd have ben into simply thousands of pounds, is the insurer ok to just bin you out with the minimal payout?

And thats before you think about the basic unfairness of the emergency services/witnesses havint to witness your tragic and life altering head injury. Seriously, I work in PI, and "head injury" is the one, even a light, gentle one, which hits all the financial panic buttons.

It doesn't seem a reasonable compromise, to forgo all that, just for the basic right to get **** in your hair.
Old 12-06-14, 09:31 PM   #34
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default If helmets weren't compulsory, would YOU wear one?

Helmet if it weren't compsory? Not always, no.
Please no more patronising crap about healthcare costs, or condescending comments suggesting that deciding other than you might do is wrong.
If you were really concerned about safety there are a thousand things you might not do - of which motorcycling would very probably be one. All that PPE might do (note: might. You can still get hurt if you're togged up like a bomb disposal operative) is maybe reduce the consequences of a crash, not remove them.
The argument that healthcare costs are a problem might well be a factor in the ending of motorcycling, and it don't make a damn bit of difference if you habitually dress up like the Michelin Man or ride in a tee shirt, there are plenty of people who would like to see our little diversion banned.
Be careful what you wish for - you might just get it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:35 PM   #35
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Being a sane and rational adult I am aware of the consequences of falling off my bike and I choose to wear the clothing that will protect me,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
If you can't be arsed to pay £100 for helmet, why should I pay 24% of my salary in taxes every month to among other things, fund the ambulance who took you to hospital, the nurses, doctors and surgeons who treated you, and the DSS who then paid you benefits to enable you (and your family who relied upon you, and now rely upon us) to have some sort of lifestyle.
My partner was required to pay a fee for the NHS Ambulance that collected her following a road accident. Is this only done in our area?
Personally I would not wear a helmet that cost £100 ever again, since getting my Shoei that cost £500 I would happily crash headfirst into concrete walls it feels so safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:36 PM   #36
keith_d
Mega Poster

I read somewhere that you can get significant brain trauma from just falling off your bike sideways onto the kerb, probably because you don't get your hands off the bike in time to break the fall. I can't be bothered to look for the article now, but if you're interested I'm sure Google can find it for your.

Personally I like my grey porridge in (mostly) working order, and my skin attached to my flesh. So I'm in the ATGATT (all the gear all the time) camp.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:38 PM   #37
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I read somewhere that you can get significant brain trauma from just falling off your bike sideways onto the kerb, probably because you don't get your hands off the bike in time to break the fall. I can't be bothered to look for the article now, but if you're interested I'm sure Google can find it for your.

Personally I like my grey porridge in (mostly) working order, and my skin attached to my flesh. So I'm camp.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Old 12-06-14, 09:49 PM   #38
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Personally I like my grey porridge in (mostly) working order, and my skin attached to my flesh. So I'm in the ATGATT (all the gear all the time) camp.
On my last trip to Thailand, we got laughed at by the locals because we took our gear with us and then rode in it despite the heat. Shoei helmets, Weiss armoured jackets, motorcycle jeans and full grain leather boots. Yes it was hot, but they drive like loonies over there and I did not want the hassle of claiming on my insurance!

What is good about that place though is the freedom of choice. They have a compulsory helmet law over there too, but the helmets they have are polystyrene cooking bowls with cloth covers and I would not wear one of these on my push bike! It shocked the locals with how much our lids cost us, but then they shocked us by riding big capacity sports bikes in flip flops and shorts! However I still stand by what I said before, it is freedom of choice. Think of it as natural selection, Darwinism in action.

I do believe that Jeremy Clarkson once said that the best way to improve road safety was to remove car seat belts and install a large spike in steering wheels. I am all up for this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:51 PM   #39
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Quote:

I do believe that Jeremy Clarkson once said that the best way to improve road safety was to remove car seat belts and install a large spike in steering wheels. I am all up for this!

Totally agree.

Sent via the medium of interpretative dance.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Old 12-06-14, 10:21 PM   #40
Red ones
Mega Poster

Armour and back protectors aren't required by law but most of us wear them for a reason.

I'd wear a helmet. I had a cycling accident about 20 years ago and hit the deck at 30mph face first. The helmet I was wearing broke in to 4 pieces, but only after taking a massive impact. Convinced it saved my life, so now I insist on helmets on cycles and bikes.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote