SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-14, 07:32 AM   #11
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Watch out for idiots!

p.s. fingers crossed the run-away driver falls down the stairs and breaks his legs and there's no one around to help.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-14, 08:01 AM   #12
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
The thing is, I've long believed that good observation, and a defensive attitude go a long way to being safe. You can be criticised even when not at fault. You get hit at a T junction, and didn't make eye contact, you got sideswiped by a car pulling from a parking spot and didnt watch for the wheels/puff of exhaust... ect ect

But this one has frankly, distressed me. I can't see anything I could have done otherwise, to make myself safer, and what I did, prevented a high speed head on, mitigating the effects. (And I'm a crap rider, it wasn't a "great bit of riding" it was sheer panic but not "freezing" that meant I just evaded them).

I really feel genuinely lucky to be here today, albeit really ****ed off that they didnt even stop and turn round to see if I was ok.

I kicked myself and my pretty good ten year stretch, when I came off last month. Pretty similar sentiments. It was someone else's fault, I had to claim on my nine years no claims because of an ignorant git pouring an entire road of diesel everywhere and almost causing a three bike, and several vehicle pile up.

You can't blame your own skills. Bloody hell, what can you exactly do when two other vehicles have a death wish? Press the K.I.T.T button on auto boost to get you out of the way?
Around these parts it's a common sight to see to pillocks racing on the whole road with a total disregard for other road users and their safety.
Take the pill on your insurance, count your lucky stars that you came out alive and make a pair of voodoo cars and set light to them. Both drivers deserve to die in a firey ball of death.....

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-14, 08:28 AM   #13
shiftin_gear98

Glad you are still in one piece, all be it battered.
Having had a similar experience, it ****s you up doesn't it.

As said glad you are still here. Mend quickly.

Hopefully they both have what's coming to them.
Old 24-09-14, 08:37 AM   #14
atassiedevil

Bottom line you are still here, and you did everything you could to prevent getting hurt. You succeeded.
You're still vertical, you're still breathing and you're unhurt.

That's a result in my book.

You have comprehensive insurance so this is the time to use it. You've witness statements to prove it wasn't your fault. I'd say time to engage your insurance company. Yes, you will have made a claim, but it will be a non fault claim. It's then up to the police to persue and try and find the 3rd party who caused it. Preferably both of them.

I got hit from behind in 2003, by an uninsured/unregistered taxi who after tossing me down the road, ran over one of my bikes wheels, plus my hand, breaking 2 fingers and almost tearing my thumb off in his haste to escape.

He was never caught, and being 3rd party insurance at the time, i had to write the bike off. I still ride today.

Take a couple of days to get your perspective, calm down and accept this is not the end of the world.

You DO have some options.

C.
Old 24-09-14, 09:04 AM   #15
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It will be interesting to see how much effort the police put into tracing these two vehicles given the witness statements about dangerous driving before your incident.I regard what happened as a serious crime,but I doubt the powers that be will persue it as such.
Best of luck with it all and I hope you can get sorted.
Old 24-09-14, 09:06 AM   #16
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post

You have comprehensive insurance so this is the time to use it. You've witness statements to prove it wasn't your fault. I'd say time to engage your insurance company. Yes, you will have made a claim, but it will be a non fault claim. It's then up to the police to persue and try and find the 3rd party who caused it. Preferably both of them.

C.
Unfortunately, for insurance purposes they call it a fault. Claiming on your insurance, even if it wasn't your fault, is a fault. Contradictory, I know, but that's the way it is.
He lost control and binned the bike. Regardless of the circumstances. You have to take the hit for it.
I've just settled a non fault claim. That's how they do it. Annoying as it is.
The only good thing about it is, is that because there is no third party, it's reasonably swift. Mine was settled in a fortnight, even though it was slightly more complicated because I didn't want the bike written off.

Then next renewal you get the question, have you had an accident in the last five years. Yes. If the police were involved, as in my case, and indeed here.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 24-09-14 at 09:08 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-14, 04:31 PM   #17
Ben.tattooer

The very reason I've started using a helmet cam. In this case I'm sure it wouldn't have done much good, but for a couple of hundred quid it could potentially save you a fortune. People tend to drive differently when they realise they are on camera too
Old 24-09-14, 04:32 PM   #18
Juju

I'm reasonably sorted for knowledge on the insurance front - 13 years in PI department ad Direct Line and 3.5 at Sabre insurance.

But I think the MIB will only accept an untraced application if I have a reg - it's the "Untraced motorist" not "Untraced car" agreement. So it's off to my comprehensive insurer when I can be bothered.

Going to park it up for a week or so whils't I mull over the options. Truth be sold, at 42k, and used all year round as a commuter, it was beginning to look a touch untidy anyway, and a new chain and front tyre were needed at the next service anyway. I guess a front rhs nosecone, indicator, mirror, bar end and rh side peg mount and brake lever were the main casualties, (and a scrape to the corner of the standard exhaust, but seems undamaged otherwise) but there's a part of me that guesses it either adds up to less than the excess, or totals the bike and I'd down £300 before I even start, and thats not including the lovely Shoei Qwest helmet that I got in the Hein Gericke closing down sale a couple of years ago.

But it's that realisation that If I'd frozen, (and you have no way of testing a reaction out really), I'd not be here. Given that the ever popular Reeder was my cousin's brother in law, I don't think my remaining family have been too keen on bikes for a while. Hell, I only ride them as they're cheaper than a car to run.
Old 24-09-14, 05:50 PM   #19
JulesW

Well done for surviving a dreadful scenario.