SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-13, 11:03 AM   #11
Gizzard1533

Default Re: How to connect 12v accessory socket?

Having a constant supply of voltage being drawn from your battery will eventually fully discharge your battery if left on long enough, i.e. Having a 12v charging socket connected directly to the battery. I had it happen to me on one of my old bikes. Since then i have always spliced into either my ignition lives or headlight live at the fuse boxes. The only problem with headlight splicing is you have to ride with headlights constantly on (which i do anyways) and then when you flick to highbeam the feed is switched which turns off your accessories as well. I hardly use high beam so it makes next to no difference for me.

If i have mulitple attachment, (heated grips, 2x charging sockets) i always run them off a seperate fuse box run off the spare fuse terminals on the bikes original fuse box. This way they only work when ignition is switched on and dont cause unnecessary discharge of the battery.
Old 25-03-13, 11:25 AM   #12
Dicky Ticker

Please explain how you can leave your phone under the seat on charge without leaving keys in the ignition.

I have the standard Triumph fitting and never had a problem with it in 12 years so if everybody wants to complicate life

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 25-03-13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 25-03-13, 11:43 AM   #13
Gizzard1533

Default Re: Re: How to connect 12v accessory socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
Please explain how you can leave your phone under the seat on charge without leaving keys in the ignition.

I have the standard Triumph fitting and never had a problem with it in 12 years so if everybody wants to complicate life
If the socket is wired directly to the battery the ignition doesn't need to be on for the socket to have a supply of power as is has complete circuit already, which will constantly draw power from the battery, without needing the bikes ignition to be switched on.

Unless his ignition barrel is that worn that he can turn the key and pull it out when the ignition is switched on...
Old 25-03-13, 11:57 AM   #14
Dicky Ticker

Everything on the bike has power to it but to complete the circuit it has to be switched on same as the socket, something has to be plugged into it to draw the power so what are you going to use as an accessory that needs that much power A phone or satnav are minimalistic in draw for a recharge.

Heated clothing or grips aren't quite the same and are better wired through the ignition but you don't need them when you are not on the bike where as most people carry their phones on their person and may want to recharge overnight [ e.g.Camping ]
Old 25-03-13, 12:06 PM   #15
Gizzard1533

Default Re: Re: How to connect 12v accessory socket?

It all depends on how many Amps the electrical applocation draws when plugged in.

An electric pump for blowing up camping beds everyone needs creature comforts when out in the wilderness
Old 30-03-15, 04:45 PM   #16
willf

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, never know whether to start a new one and be accused of not searching

I can't see the bike at the moment, where do you attach the cabling to for the 12v socket - I'm not bothered if it's still on when ignition is off, whatever is less hassle to wire up? I'm guessing not onto the battery terminals directly.

This is what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-M...TN0DSM7K1C579D

I can't imagine charging a non-usb appliance these days - but is this a mistake, should I go for 12V socket and USB adapter just in case?

Would you run this to the back seat or handlebars? Charging iPhone while using it as GPS could be handy, but less waterproof? Would you leave the socket in the back and run just the charging current to the handlebars for more water protection?

Sorry for noob questions...

Will
Old 30-03-15, 06:39 PM   #17
Winder

If wanted for charging phones/camera etc and as you say you aren't bothered if it goes off with the ignition just run it direct to the battery and fix it under the pillion seat. I have had one in there like that for a few years and is handy when touring.
I also used one up front for sat nav and positioned it under the right had bikini fairing, plugged the sat nav charger into it and waterproofed it with old bicycle tyre inner tube and malgy tape and ran the sat nav cable so it pops up between the clock surround and the screen.
That has also been running fine for years even in Irish and Scottish hardcore rain.
Old 30-03-15, 08:21 PM   #18
willf

Thanks Winder. I might wire the USB socket to the pillion seat storage bit, and run a longer iPhone cable forwards from there to handlebars/ tank bag for use upfront when needed.

Are the amazon sockets much of a muchness?
Old 30-03-15, 08:30 PM   #19
Winder

If you want one up front just run one up front too.
Get the ones with a fused positive cable. Not much more expensive.
If it's only using maps on your phone then buy a cheap car sat nav and a Givi waterproof case. I used that for ages until my sat nav got stood on.
Old 30-03-15, 08:39 PM   #20
Winder

That's how my sat nav was set up.