SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-16, 09:04 PM   #1
Juju

Default Oil useage -

So I returned to biking in june after a couple of years off, largely due to pressure from work and the trains being really really **** where I live!-

I bought an aging 2002 Curvy SV in early june. I think it hadn't long been serviced when I bought it, but at that age, you kind of buy for "condition" rather than mileage/age, but the lowish mileage that was an attraction.

I've been using it more or less daily, and am putting 1k+ miles a month on it - so the mileage has risen from what I believe to be genuine 20790 to over 25.5k now in four months.

And when I checked the oil today (as indeed I check it every week), by starting up the engine, letting it run for a couple of minutes to warm the oil and then get the bike level and look at the sight glass, it's still virtually "to the top" mark of the glass.

My previous couple of SV's have all used a bit of oil, and required at least a litre topping up between 6k services, but this one doesn't seem to be using any!

Is this usual, am I lucky, or could it even be a problem? I know this "non problem" seems an odd thread to post - but as I know the square root of bugger all about mechanics, I thought I'd ask a possibly stupid question, and find out what other people's oil useage was like?
Old 11-10-16, 09:29 PM   #2
tom_e

Default Re: Oil useage -

1l seems quite high, I change my oil every 3k on my K5 and sometimes it needs a dribble between changes to keep it at the full mark but nothing crazy.

With the SV it seems to be very hit and miss you can get a bike that will use nothing or a bike that will require regular topping up neither is a sign of anything untoward. Just make sure you keep an eye on it incase it suddenly gets thirsty and you grind the engine to dust with low oil.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 06:37 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

The oil level should be checked with the engine cold and the bike upright. You won't get a proper reading of the oil level with half the oil spread around the engine.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 06:48 AM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

The manual says to run the engine at idle for a few minutes then stop the engine and allow it to stand for 3 minutes.

Are you wondering why it isn't using oil?
Mine uses very little unless it is ragged for some distance. I do 13000 miles a year commuting and might occasionally have to do a little too up between changes but there again I change oil at 4500 - 5000 miles and the top up would be at about 3000ish miles.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 07:11 AM   #5
Craig380
Mega Poster

Don't worry about it, if it isn't using oil then it means the cylinder bores, piston rings, valve guide seals are all likely to be in good condition, so you've bought a good 'un.

Don't be too concerned about following the manual's instructions to the letter, it's as accurate to check the level before you fire the bike up (engine cold or hot). You may find that checking when the engine is hot shows a very slightly higher level ... that's because oil expands when heated.

As said above, do keep checking the level every week though, it's a good discipline. As the old saying puts it, and it's very true: oil is cheap, engine rebuilds are expensive.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 08:18 AM   #6
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You may find that checking when the engine is hot shows a very slightly higher level ... that's because oil expands when heated.
This may be true, but I think the difference is more to do with the cold and viscous oil clinging to the parts it was touching while on the side-stand. If you leave it over night vertical, the level usually appears higher than running and leaving for a few minutes.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 12:24 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post

My previous couple of SV's have all used a bit of oil, and required at least a litre topping up between 6k services, but this one doesn't seem to be using any!
the service intervals are 3.5k and 4k at a push. at 6k the oil will be completely fubar and serving no purpose apart from looking like oil.

checking oil level hot or cold dont matter so whats the point in wasting fuel warming the bike up then checking oil when it can be done cold.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 01:24 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
checking oil level hot or cold dont matter so whats the point in wasting fuel warming the bike up then checking oil when it can be done cold.
Completely agree here but it is what it states in the manual. So if you want to do it by the book, it is the way.
Old 12-10-16, 01:29 PM   #9
NedSVS

At over 51k miles my 2001 curvy goes from one service to the next (3500m) without a top up.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 01:39 PM   #10
Swin

Mine sips at oil if I use the scenic route into work, but if my shifts are over a weekend and I can use the motorway, then she starts to drink a little more, but usually no more than enough to move the level from halfway up the sight glass to nearer to the top
Swin is offline   Reply With Quote