SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-12-07, 05:11 PM   #1
wyrdness

Smile Real Men Don't Gift Wrap

Dave Barry on why Men don't wrap presents:

"This is the time of year when we think back to the very first Christmas, when the Three Wise Men - Gaspar, Balthasar and Herb - went to see the baby Jesus, and, according to the Book of Matthew, “presented unto Him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”

These are simple words, but if we analyze them carefully, we discover an important, yet often-overlooked, theological fact: There is no mention of wrapping paper.

If there had been wrapping paper, Matthew would have said so:
“And lo, the gifts WERE inside 600 square cubits of paper.
“And the paper WAS festooned with pictures of Frosty the Snowman.
“And Joseph WAS going to throweth it away, but Mary saideth unto him, she saideth, ‘Holdeth it! That is nice paper! Saveth it for next year!’
“And Joseph DID rolleth his eyeballs.
“And the baby Jesus WAS more interested in the paper than, for example, the frankincense.”

But these words do not appear in the Bible, which means that the very first Christmas gifts were NOT wrapped. This is because the people giving those gifts had two important characteristics:

1. They were wise.

2. They were men.

Men are not big gift wrappers. Men do not understand the point of putting paper on a gift just so somebody else can tear it off. This is not just my opinion: This is a scientific fact based on a statistical survey of two guys I know. One is my son, Rob, who said the only time he ever wraps a gift is, quote, “if it’s such a poor gift that I don’t want to be there when the person opens it.” The other is my friend Gene Weingarten, who told me he does wrap gifts, but as a matter of principle never takes more than 15 seconds per gift.

“No one ever had to wonder which presents daddy wrapped at Christmas,” Gene said. “They were the ones that looked like enormous spitballs.”

I also wrap gifts, but because of some defect in my motor skills, I can never COMPLETELY wrap them. I can take a gift the size of a deck of cards and put it the exact center of a piece of wrapping paper the size of a regulation volleyball court, but when I am done folding and taping, you can still see a sector of the gift peeking out. (Sometimes I camouflage this sector with a marking pen.) If I had been an ancient Egyptian in the field of mummies, the lower half of the Pharaoh’s body would be covered only by Scotch tape.

On the other hand, if you give my wife a 12-inch square of wrapping paper, she can wrap a C-130 cargo plane. My wife, like many women, actually LIKES wrapping things. If she gives you a gift that requires batteries, she wraps the batteries separately, which to me is very close to being a symptom of mental illness. If it were possible, my wife would wrap each individual volt.

My point is that gift-wrapping is one of those skills - like having babies - that come more naturally to women than to men. That is why today I am presenting:

Gift-wrapping tips for men
Whenever possible, buy gifts that are already wrapped. If, when the recipient opens the gift, neither one of you recognizes it, you can claim that it’s myrrh.

The editors of Woman’s Day magazine recently ran an item on how to make your own wrapping paper by printing a design on it with an apple sliced in half horizontally and dipped in a mixture of food coloring and liquid starch. They must be smoking crack.

If you’re giving a hard-to-wrap gift, skip the wrapping paper! Just put it inside a bag and stick one of those little adhesive bows on it. This creates a festive visual effect that is sure to delight the lucky recipient on Christmas morning:

YOUR WIFE: Why is there a Hefty trash bag under the tree?

YOU: It’s a gift! See? It has a bow!

YOUR WIFE (peering into the trash bag): It’s a leaf blower.

YOU: Gas-powered! Five horsepower!

YOUR WIFE: I want a divorce.

YOU: I also got you some myrrh.

In conclusion, remember that the important thing is not what you give, or how you wrap it. The important thing, during this very special time of year, is that you save the receipt.

Last edited by wyrdness; 23-12-07 at 05:22 PM.
Old 23-12-07, 05:22 PM   #2
sv-robo

Default Re: Real Men on't Gift Wrap

fully understand what your saying mate.........but my god the women on this forum are now probably gonna string you up by your xmas baubles
Old 23-12-07, 05:27 PM   #3
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-robo View Post
fully understand what your saying mate.........but my god the women on this forum are now probably gonna string you up by your xmas baubles
Nah, it's two days before Christmas. They're most likely all too busy wrapping up presents.

I read this aloud to Mrs Wyrdness whilst she was gift-wrapping, with selotape and scissors and they're still attached.

Last edited by wyrdness; 23-12-07 at 05:30 PM.
Old 23-12-07, 05:34 PM   #4
sv-robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
Nah, it's two days before Christmas. They're most likely all too busy wrapping up presents.

I read this aloud to Mrs Wyrdness whilst she was gift-wrapping, with selotape and scissors and they're still attached.
Old 23-12-07, 05:44 PM   #5
Razor

I have wrapping cramp from wrapping stuff most of the day, just what ya tryin' to say here?
Old 23-12-07, 05:47 PM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Woohoo..................I'm a real man!

I hate sodding wrapping sodding presents

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-07, 06:12 PM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Oh dear me.... I'm such a woman then.

You can tell when its been wrapped by me cos its almost so perfect you'll feel bad about having to ruin the brilliant work i did wrapping it.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-07, 06:14 PM   #8
Stig

Jo does all the wrapping. Well she's the one that spent the money. She can wrap them up. Besides none of them are for me. Why should I.
Old 23-12-07, 07:18 PM   #9
Pedrosa

Here in Spain most shops offer e free gift wrapping service for items purchased in the festive season. Result I'd say.
Old 23-12-07, 07:31 PM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosa View Post
Here in Spain most shops offer e free gift wrapping service for items purchased in the festive season. Result I'd say.
Result indeed.

I wonder if they offered Jo this service when she bought me my new B-King