SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 12-02-08, 01:36 PM   #1
monkey

Default Congestion charge going up to £25 for big motors (4X4 and sports cars)

Everyones favourite little man has anounced it this morning. 90% discount lost to owners of motors with a big enough CO2 output and congestion charge to be more than trippled!

I think we should just send Soulkiss in there to take them all out.

Discuss.
Old 12-02-08, 01:48 PM   #2
Fizzy Fish

Default Re: Congestion charge going up to £25 for big motors (4X4 and sports cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
Everyones favourite little man has anounced it this morning. 90% discount lost to owners of motors with a big enough CO2 output and congestion charge to be more than trippled!

I think we should just send Soulkiss in there to take them all out.

Discuss.
i hope you don't mean that you're gonna annihilate all of the TfL & GLA people, cos if you do can you let me know first?!
Old 12-02-08, 02:02 PM   #3
Jester666

Default Re: Congestion charge going up to £25 for big motors (4X4 and sports cars)

So TfL are going to make £40-50 million.

And they're going to spend it on WALKING and CYCLING initatives.

I've got an idea..........why not resurface all the cr4ppy roads in London instead?

Red Ken!! No-one liked him in the bad old GLC days either!
Old 12-02-08, 03:53 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

well there really is no good reason at all for peeps to drive 4x4s in london as far as i'm concerned. Its all about the fact that they "feel safer" while they drve badly.

if i had my way i'd make these fools drive really rubbish small cars for a few months so they can see what it feels like to be driven at by a 4x4 driver.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 04:15 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
if i had my way i'd make these fools drive really rubbish small cars for a few months so they can see what it feels like to be driven at by a 4x4 driver.
I agree

My main argument against this is that the charge is supposed to stop congestion.

Isnt allowing smaller cars into the zone for free not re-purposing the Congestion Charge to being an Environment Charge

And if, for example you can buy a Mini that doesn't incur the charge, wont the 4x4 owners just buy one of those too and so increase congestion?

Didnt that already be seen to be the case when a certain car was being sold based on the RUMOUR that it would be Congestion Exempt, and it sold really well, until it came out that it probably wouldnt be?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 04:47 PM   #6
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
I agree

My main argument against this is that the charge is supposed to stop congestion.

Isnt allowing smaller cars into the zone for free not re-purposing the Congestion Charge to being an Environment Charge
I think this is reflective of a shift in policy towards targetting emissions as well as congestion.

Ken (backed by the powerful Green wing of the GLA) has set London some very stretching targets in reducing emissions, which go way beyond what central government is imposing across the rest of the country. As such he needs a big programme of initiatives to achieve this, hence the new Low Emissions Zone for lorries, plus a whole raft of policies to switch people away from cars (and even public transport) and towards cycling & walking, etc.

This particular change is intended to shift people's car buying habits on a wider scale, albeit at the expense of slightly greater congestion in central London, in the hope of bringing down overall emissions.

So if you don't want more of thid stuff then stop voting for Ken and the Greens and vote for er..er..er...
Old 12-02-08, 04:50 PM   #7
metalmonkey

Its just another tax, that isn't spent on anything to do with the roads, thats what labour do tax the hell out of the people and waste it on cr*p

Though 4x4 in London is a waste of time, I lived in the countryside and we have been fine without one why you need one in the city

Also what is total ass about this is that there are some estaes that produce more CO2 than 4x4, which is a dam fact, those hybrid cars are w**k cause the batteries will need to replaced, Also how much CO2 do you think it takes to make them? Oy yeah they have be thrown out at some point as well.

The whole thing about the enviroment has been twised by the scum in power, you know there are some polluters out there that don't have this tax put on, even theough they produce more CO2. I don't trust a thing that come out of any politicans mouth right now, lying scum in it for themselves not the people.

I have a reasonable idea, about the impact humans have on the envioment, having worked on a conservation project.

How about making it safer for bikers in London, secure parking ect, oh now they won't do that casuse it doesn't work with the poltical agenda

If there were seriuous about easing the traffic problems, then they would have spent money on public tranist, motorcycling and push bikes, but to be honest they dont' seem to do a thing about it

Well I'll get of my now

Last edited by Jester666; 12-02-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 04:53 PM   #8
Fizzy Fish

wow, life must be pretty hectic in bluethunder land!
Old 12-02-08, 05:07 PM   #9
Devil Biccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Its just another tax, that isn't spent on anything to do with the roads, thats what labour do tax the hell out of the people and waste it on cr*p

That's true for all political parties????

Though 4x4 in London is a waste of time, I lived in the countryside and we have been fine without one why you need one in the city

Also what is total ass about this is that there are some estaes that produce more CO2 than 4x4, which is a dam fact, those hybrid cars are w**k cause the batteries will need to replaced, Also how much CO2 do you think it takes to make them? Oy yeah they have be thrown out at some point as well.

Not true re: CO2 useage is greater manufactruing petrol/disel engine rather than electric or hybrid. More parts to recycle with Batteries than Petrol/Disel

The whole thing about the enviroment has been twised by the scum in power, you know there are some polluters out there that don't have this tax put on, even theough they produce more CO2. I don't trust a thing that come out of any politicans mouth right now, lying scum in it for themselves not the people.
But it's the people who put them there in the first place?

I have a reasonable idea, about the impact humans have on the envioment, having worked on a conservation project.
We are the brightest animal on Earth yet we choose to destry the planet! ones to question wether we really should be in charge of Earth
How about making it safer for bikers in London, secure parking ect, oh now they won't do that casuse it doesn't work with the poltical agenda

May do if you get biker friendly politicians together or a strong enough lobby group
If there were seriuous about easing the traffic problems, then they would have spent money on public tranist, motorcycling and push bikes, but to be honest they dont' seem to do a thing about it

Public transport and proper cycle/motor bike lanes Yippeee

Well I'll get of my now
Agree with some and not with some

Last edited by Jester666; 12-02-08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 11:11 PM   #10
monkey

My word Blue I hop you feel better! The news said it'll be ALL behicles that pump out over a certain limit of CO2, hence the title said sports cars too.

I can't understand how bikes haven't been targeted at all yet if it is purely a green thing as I reckon I must use as much petrol in my bike as the missus does in her Ka(ck) for the same mileage.

If it's purely congestion charge then have different rates depending on the vehicles footprint. Sorted. It's all a bit odd and crazy. I feel for the truckers hit by the low emmision zone. In a few years that will cripple some companies using large vans too. They'll either have to upgrade if they can't get their wagons fixed or get two smaller vans with another driver. No someone tell me that makes sense?

I'm gonna ask if I can use the Tranny for work in the summer. Some tools and basic spares in the panniers, sorted. The AA tried it for a while but apparently they kept falling over! He he he.