SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-01-14, 04:27 AM   #1
bs8c

Default Used sv650, to buy or not?

I`ve had my eye on a sv650, 2004 model that is for sale. I met with the owner, talked about the bike, he even let me ride it...the bike seems in great shape(beside 2 bumps on the gas tank consistent with falling from the sidestand), but there is one problem...the bike has 94000 km on it. So i was wondering...what is you`r opinion? I can`t get the true history of the bike because i`m not 100% i can trust the owner, after all he is trying to sell the bike and he might be telling me what i want to hear instead of what the truth is.
We put the battery and started the bike on a cold weather. The bike started instantly. I gave it a test ride (in december...with snow along side of the road), and i could not find anything wrong with it.

I`m really confused now...should i get this bike or not? If i get it...what problems should i expect due to the mileage ?

Thank you and i apologize if i put this in the wrong place(i`m pretty new on this forum)
Old 26-01-14, 08:24 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Used sv650, to buy or not

94,000 km. That's nearly 60,000 miles. High milage for a toy but around 6,000 miles a year if it's been used consistently.

My SV is on similar mileage and there are a few on here with a lot more than that. The bikes are certainly capable of being reliable past the 100,000 mile mark, but the condition will depend on use and maintenance. How long had the current owner had it? Had the milage been long rides or short hops, what kind of service history does it have? Are the brake discs, tyres and chain in good condition?

Long story short, without knowing more about this bike it's hard to know whether it's a well cared for bike that's seen some use, or an unloved for one that's going to need a lot of work.

It comes down to condition and price, I wouldn't rule out a high mileage bike, but I would expect the price to reflect the use it's had.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

Last edited by jambo; 26-01-14 at 08:25 AM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-14, 09:13 AM   #3
bs8c

This is a second owner. He bought the bike from Switcerland (he works there..3 months there, 3 months in Macedonia so basicly he has less than 3 mnths to ride it per year) so my guess is that rhe mileage was made in Switcerland. Not sure if it's usual mileage for that place or not. The chain is new, battery is new, clutch is ok, brakes are also ok and the tires can be used for one more season but not more than that. And the price...seems good, even cheap.

Sent from my LG-E610 using Tapatalk
Old 26-01-14, 09:20 AM   #4
bs8c

Oh and i think he aid he bought the bike in 2008 so that makes more than 10000 km per year. Only the most persistent bikers make 10k km per year here since it's small country so the mileage was definetly made in Switcerland

Old 26-01-14, 09:40 PM   #5
wideguy

I browse used bikes sitting at local dealers fairly often. I don't buy many, but I look for signs of amateur/sloppy maintenance. Things like mis-routed wires and cables, nuts, bolts and screws that are mothered up.
If the bike has enough miles, I try to look at the valve cover bolts, trying to see if they look like they've ever been touched by a wrench. I might ask to drop the oil pan and look inside. I don't know how that would go over- I've not actually done that, but I've not bought a high mileage bike either.
How are the valve stem seals on these bikes? Mine are good at around 35,000 miles, intake side anyway. I've not seen talk, so I guess they last?
Old 27-01-14, 12:07 PM   #6
bs8c

Default Re: Used sv650, to buy or not?

I was just informed that i have till 3rd od february to decided if i'll purchase this bike or not...so come on, need more advices., i'm losing my mind xD

Old 27-01-14, 01:42 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

It will be hard to sell with that mileage and some damage,especially in winter.If you go for it make sure it is very cheap or walk away and find a better one.Plenty of fish in the sea.
Old 27-01-14, 01:59 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Best advice is if you don't feel 100% confident then don't buy it. It may well be perfectly OK, but you need to be comfortable.

There is always another bike.
Old 27-01-14, 07:54 PM   #9
Juju

The world is full of second hand motorbikes.

Besides, if you're unsure of buying it, so will the potential purchasers when you want to upgrade to something a little swankier.
Old 27-01-14, 08:47 PM   #10
Dalerst

What are they asking for the bike? with that mileage on I wouldn't pay any more that £1100 tops, there are plenty of these bikes around at the minute so its a buyers market.