SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-05-14, 02:02 PM   #1
Bike_Nutter

Angry Cagers attitude towards Bikers!

Hi Forum buddies.

I dreamed of the day I would pass my test, rip off the BIG L and ride with pride knowing cagers would appreciate that I'd taken the time and expense of passing my test to ensure I am a safe and competent rider, showing respect accordingly.

Slowly but surely, I am coming to the conclusion that cagers hate BIG bike riders even more than an L plater whizzing about on a Honda PS or a YBR125...

Every other day I am helpless victim of drivers feigning to swerve into me as I attempt to pass, sitting dangerously close behind me on dual carriageways, drifting into my lane without indicating and expecting me to ease off the gas to let them in, it goes on and on...

I am not the most aggressive rider, I don't switch lanes constantly like I have urgent blood on board, I wear high-vis and I'm very vigilant of pedestrians and vulnerable road users: horse riders, cyclists, L platers etc.

So why am I feeling like I have, "kill this rider to win the prize" written on my helmet nearly every time I get on my bike?! I'm really getting tired of the hostility and it's making me feel like I don't want to ride any more.

Todays example: In a business park on my way to Homebase. White BMW (so no more) is driving slow and dithering about where to park and almost comes to a halt, so I drive at moderate speed to pass on the left, he decides to turn left into a space that is right in front of where I am riding. I beep my horn lots to let him know he is crossing my path, he stops and winds down his window and starts straight off with the aggression.

- HE "What you bibbing for eh?!"
- ME "To let you know I am here of course, you were about to block my path and run into me."
- HE "You bikers are always passing dangerously, and what are you doing passing on the left anyway?! You know you're not supposed to pass on the left?!!!"
(I look at the floor markings and note that it's a one way road area)
- ME "Well actually, it's a one way street, so I can pass on either side, look in the Highway code if you think I'm lying. You also didn't indicate. It doesn't matter where you are on a road, if you are turning, you must indicate, right or wrong?"

(he refuses to acknowledge my comment or questions and repeats without pausing for breath or giving me a chance to make my point, about "bikers this, bikers that" "you shouldn't have tried to pass" "if we crashed it would be your fault" etc etc etc. At this point I realised I was talking to a retard and deemed it a waste of time to continue the discussion with him.)

- Me "Park your car then, park your car..."
(off he goes and I go about my business)

I'm sure you all know this story well. But please tell me - Do you think CAT A license bikers get a harder time than L platers? If so, why? I feel like all cagers hate me! (probably because they hate the fact that we can smoke them at the lights and they don't have a pair BIG enough to ride, like we do. Well, that makes me smile and keep riding anyway.

Opinions please!!!

*Nutter.

(*not associated with a dis-functional brain, but my passion for 2 wheeled transport ha-ha!)
Old 07-05-14, 02:13 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cagers attitude towards Bikers!

Yer wasting yer breath getting wound up about it.

Yes there's loads of cnuts out there. Deal with it.

Passing on the left you'll always be on a sticky wicket. People don't expect it, therefore it's a daft idea.
Old 07-05-14, 02:17 PM   #3
Spank86

You have your location set as London and expect not to meet a high proportion of ass holes on the road?

I applaud your optimism.

Something to think about though is on the journey before that run in how many tens or hundreds of car drivers did you pass with absolutely no issue OR even perhaps them making room for you? We look at a lawn and see the one weed among all the grass.
Old 07-05-14, 02:24 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

better just to ignore them. don't give them a reason to hate bikers even more.

in time you will learn the sick'th sense about these things.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 02:38 PM   #5
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yer wasting yer breath getting wound up about it.

Yes there's loads of cnuts out there. Deal with it.

Passing on the left you'll always be on a sticky wicket. People don't expect it, therefore it's a daft idea.
I live in London, if I couldn't deal with a holes, I wouldn't be able to live here, period.

What I shall not, "deal with" however, is the potential for someone to rid me of a leg, paralyse me, take my life.

I agree, passing on the left generally is a bad idea, but we are talking sub 12mph in a car park here, not 60mph on a single carriageway...
Old 07-05-14, 02:40 PM   #6
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
You have your location set as London and expect not to meet a high proportion of ass holes on the road?

I applaud your optimism.

Something to think about though is on the journey before that run in how many tens or hundreds of car drivers did you pass with absolutely no issue OR even perhaps them making room for you? We look at a lawn and see the one weed among all the grass.

Thanks Buddy, someone showing me the optimistic view helps a lot.
Old 07-05-14, 02:41 PM   #7
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
better just to ignore them. don't give them a reason to hate bikers even more.

in time you will learn the sick'th sense about these things.
Wise words Bib, got to be a diplomat for bikers on every journey.

Did you spot a newbie rider eh? Eh?! Ha-ha

Cheers.
Old 07-05-14, 03:17 PM   #8
ZER0

Move to the countryside, people are much nicer in small towns and villages!

I've been riding since Jan; not commuting, just pleasure. And 99% of the car drivers have been fine.
I think as long as you ride respectfully and leave them lots of room when following and overtaking they really don't mind. In fact, a few have encouraged me to overtake...I've been quite happy sitting behind a car (at a good distance!) and they've moved over to allow me passed. I've always made a point to acknowledge them with a wave too.

If I was in my car or van and a biker was dangerously close behind, with no obvious or safe place to overtake I'd find it annoying too. So for someone that doesn't like bikes, or maybe just does not think of them, it must be infuriating.

I'm not suggesting you had, or do, ride like that. Just a thought!

But I agree; definitely try and ignore the dumb ass's and enjoy the people that do make room for you.

Note: I have never, and never plan to, ride in or around London! It looks and sounds very stressful!!!

Last edited by ZER0; 07-05-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 04:03 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

In a car park the drivers attention is on where the best gap to slot the motor in is.
If you was in the car you'd have sat behind him listening to 5star and just chilled.
"Every other day I am helpless victim of drivers feigning to swerve into me as I attempt to pass, "
You go were you Look.So does the driver of the car who kust looks right as you go bye
"sitting dangerously close behind me on dual carriageways, drifting into my lane without indicating and expecting me to ease off the gas to let them in, it goes on and on..."
They likely don't see you.No amount of hi vis can help you, if the eyes are connected to there Butt

Last edited by NTECUK; 07-05-14 at 04:04 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 05:37 PM   #10
Mauler

Welcome to the club, dude! It's a lot easier to get worked up about people's crappy driving when you and not your car is the thing taking the knocks, innit?

Grow extra eyes and as my best mate put it when I was learning:

"Treat all motorists as utterly useless evil henchmen who are trying to kill you but aren't quite good enough to...but they keep trying".

The gits.

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote