SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-06, 11:19 AM   #1
ryancor

Default Front Disc Replacement?

Not having a good week. My sv was up for an MOT yesterday so I decided to get everything up together beforehand knowing that if anything needed doing at the MOT place then it would cost a lot more. So new chain and sprockets went on along with a new tyre. This cost a couple of hundred quid but well worth it. Just enough left over for the MOT and a cam belt change on my car.

Got to the MOT place yesterday and it failed on a warped front brake disc. Quoted £250 for one disc and pads to be fitted!! I made my excuses and left hoping to find some cheaper ones else where. I was hoping someone on her can suggest a good supplier of discs. I think I can probable fit them myself but am struggling to find any.

To finish the day off when I got home I found oil leaking from under my car. Isn't motoring great!!!
Old 04-04-06, 11:36 AM   #2
ryancor

Just been searching about on the net again and found these Galfer discs £179.95 for a pair!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...prod/224/13739

Anyone used them or got any comments. They seem very cheap compaired to standard parts. Are they any good?
Old 04-04-06, 11:36 AM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Breakers are your friend.

http://www.svspares.com/items/43-2_1...right-hand.htm
Old 04-04-06, 11:46 AM   #4
creamerybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancor
Just been searching about on the net again and found these Galfer discs £179.95 for a pair!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...prod/224/13739

Anyone used them or got any comments. They seem very cheap compaired to standard parts. Are they any good?
Price: £179.95 - FREE UK DELIVERY
PRICE PER DISC

£388 for two discs and pads

Although the new Demon Tweeks catalogue has the speed kit for £194.00
Old 04-04-06, 12:09 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I've never bought a new disc... There's always a chance that yuou get a bad one, but since you can get probably 6 or 7 used ones for the price of a new one, you'd have to be very unlucky to come out behind. Technically you shouldn't put a new pad against a new disc, or a used disc that's not been mated to that pad- but in the real world, people do it all the time I think.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 12:23 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Theres a company that sells pattern discs, 2 fronts and a rear including pads for £250. I cant remember the company name. They usualy have a stand at bike shows.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 12:24 PM   #7
ryancor

Brilliant. I had never heard of svspares.com. Thank you for that Flamin_Squirrel.

I didn't realise the discs I listed was only for one so thanks for pointing that out creamerybutter Reading the headline it says discs but there is only a small red box showing it is for one disc only.

With regards to using new pads and new discs I was told at the garage I got the MOT done that if it fitted new discs then I had to have new pads. Are they just trying to make more money out of me?

Thanks for the replys so far. I knew I would get some good answers and advice on here.
Old 04-04-06, 12:24 PM   #8
creamerybutter

I can never find any brakers braking K3's. I need to replace my discs and can't seem to fand a cheap option.

I might just bite the bullet and buy these as it's not bad for all three discs.

As far as I was aware as old pads would have worn differently with the old disc you should replace them when you do the discs as braking can be adversely affected (apparently) but I don't know what difference it really makes.
Old 04-04-06, 01:04 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

It'd definately be a bad idea to put old pads on brand new discs IMO. It's a matched wear deal, the old pads will have worn to match your old discs. If one of the discs was damaged... Draw your own conclusions there For the cost of discs vs the cost of pads it's potentially a really false economy.

I've got half a set of EBC HHs somewhere that you could have for a tenner It's the left caliper, i think.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 01:19 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Is it just one disc that you need? I have one disc in perfect condition.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote