SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-12-14, 02:31 PM   #21
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: CBX550 Restoration Project

Col a friends vtr did exactly the same thing and it was a case of the head bedding in, took about 2k before it started to settle

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 03:28 PM   #22
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Hopefully it is just from the build and that smoke will sort itself out. But might be worth doing a compression/ leak down test to see if there is anything amiss. Interesting to see some stuff I've not tried before with the heads.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 03:36 PM   #23
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Col a friends vtr did exactly the same thing and it was a case of the head bedding in, took about 2k before it started to settle
I'll get back into it shortly. A mate has offered me his trade plates to take it for a blast, but need a chain & sprocket kit 1st. It can wait till after Christmas now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Hopefully it is just from the build and that smoke will sort itself out. But might be worth doing a compression/ leak down test to see if there is anything amiss. Interesting to see some stuff I've not tried before with the heads.
If I'm honest, I kept putting it off because the thought of it scared me to death, but once I got into the mindset that it was 4 individual engines, I was fine. The camchain was probably the hardest part of the job
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 04:01 PM   #24
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Damn good stuff, an interesting read as always. I do love these build threads.

Sorry to read about your oil smoke in the exhaust. One question, did you replace the piston rings? I did wonder if they had worn into the old bore before you polished it a little and that could be your cause as they no longer fit as tightly? Just an idea, but I am not a mechanic, merely a keen tinkerer.

The wife's old bike used to smoke no matter what she did. Thankfully she herself has now given up smoking, so that is an improvement!

Good luck getting it sorted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 14-12-14 at 04:12 PM. Reason: A new idea...
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 04:27 PM   #25
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post

The wife used to smoke no matter what she did. Thankfully she herself has now given up smoking, so that is an improvement!
Did you get her rebored, or just get her valves lapped?

Last edited by Teejayexc; 14-12-14 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Thought of some more smut ;-)
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 06:28 PM   #26
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'd guess the timing was out because someone had attempted to do the camchain tensioner?

I used to have the Honda workshop manual, but I think I gave it to the new owner when I sold it

Still an interesting thread so far Col
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 06:42 PM   #27
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
I'll get back into it shortly. A mate has offered me his trade plates to take it for a blast, but need a chain & sprocket kit 1st. It can wait till after Christmas now.

If I'm honest, I kept putting it off because the thought of it scared me to death, but once I got into the mindset that it was 4 individual engines, I was fine. The camchain was probably the hardest part of the job
your problem may lay as others have said,with using old rings in a bore you have deglazed,it is possible you may have gone over the top with the bore deglazing,did you use the fine grade stones and use plenty of lube!
Old 14-12-14, 06:50 PM   #28
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
your problem may lay as others have said,with using old rings in a bore you have deglazed,it is possible you may have gone over the top with the bore deglazing,did you use the fine grade stones and use plenty of lube!
If you have a look at the picture with the piston ring in the bore, there is hardly any gap between the rings. I checked the tolerance before & after I deglazed the barrels & they were well within the given parameters. I don't think that anybody would be THAT stupid to try & hone so much out.
Old 14-12-14, 07:06 PM   #29
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
If you have a look at the picture with the piston ring in the bore, there is hardly any gap between the rings. I checked the tolerance before & after I deglazed the barrels & they were well within the given parameters. I don't think that anybody would be THAT stupid to try & hone so much out.
like i say old rings with deglazed bore,what do the oil control rings look like in the bore
Old 20-12-14, 05:48 AM   #30
mister c
Mega Poster

Rings look ok, so am going to try running her for a while to see if it clears. A small amount of oil can produce a lot of smoke. The engine was only running for about 3 - 4 minutes.
Had another problem which needed attention. The mixture screws on the outer carbs were siezed, so thought I would remove the carbs & sort them out. 1 came out no problem, the other was completely solid. The screw head snapped off, so I tried hacksawing a new slot, screw snapped . Bought a stud extractor kit, but it still didn't shift. Luckily I have another bank of carbs, set set to stripping & cleaning them out.

I'll do some rebuilding this afternoon when I get home from work