SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-15, 07:07 PM   #11
suzukigt380paul

Default Re: One bike to do everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Someone's going to say VFR.
A vfr800 pre vtec,even being 16 or 17 years old,it is still said my many to be the best all round sports tourer on the road,110hp 150+ mph,With a engine good for 250k,long service intervals,if you can find a low milage good condition one you won't be disappointed,failing that go for second best and go for a vtec,and as second best they will still be better then a sprint,also have a look at the 1250 faired bandit or gsx1250 or what ever they call the fully faired version
Old 07-04-15, 07:07 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

make a short list and then go test ride them.

personally if i were to get rid of the SV i would go for a stripple R or a GSXR 750 with a comfort kit but my SV does everything i ask of it and at 60mpg i dont think i will be changing it any time soon. yes it has cost a small fortune but its been worth every single penny and still a lot cheaper than a lot of the bikes out there of the same spec.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 07:50 PM   #13
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

GSXS1000 or gsx1000f

I'm waiting for the demonstration bikes to come into the UK as I'm really considering trying one.

The Mt09 and it's variants are a good one bike option

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 08:05 PM   #14
maviczap
Mega Poster

Did anyone say VFR

That'd be my choice
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 07:55 AM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Bikes only need servicing if you ride them, and you can only ride one at a time so I've always argued it's best to have the right bike for what you specifically want to do rather than one that is a compromise at everything..... Sure you need to keep an eye on things like batteries if you don't use it often, and I've a whiteboard in my garage with all the various MOT and tax dates on, but it's really nice to "treat" yourself to something different as the mood or season takes you.

Having said all that I've hung onto my 1997 Honda 600 Hornet and that's now got over 50k on it because it tends to be the best all rounder. I've done everything from touring to trackday instruction on it and it's been 100% reliable along the way. I do occasionally miss the raw power of a litre plus bike, but unless you live life in three figures it's just overkill on the road.

If you do want something bigger then have you looked at the Tiger? Haven't ridden the latest one but certainly the model they bought out a few years ago could hang out with the best of them.......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 08:12 AM   #16
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlux View Post
MT-09 Tracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
tracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
Tracer
I like the positioning of that bike, and the throttle modes, but no electronic suspension on that one... although given the feedback, might have to give one a test ride at least to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
K1200GT
That's my current frame of mind as it happens, find a second hand one in decent condition - but wanted to see what non-BMW alternatives there were to compare it properly against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Fazer thou
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
VFR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
CBR650F
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
vfr800/1250 faired bandit/gsx1250
Problem which all of these if they're middle of the road, and will do pretty much anything, pretty good. Whereas I'm looking at something that will do pretty much anything 'very' well - which means anything with standard style suspensions (non-electronic / without quick adjustment) aren't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzboutbikes View Post
Suzuki GSX-S1000.
Intrigued by the traction control aspect, but still standard style suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
R1200RT
Specs wise, it's perfect! Problem is, I'm not the biggest of blokes, and it kinda drowns me
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 08:33 AM   #17
Luckypants
Mega Poster

If you think a BMW 1200RT will do the 'sports bike' bit as well as a VFR, then I suggest you go test ride them back to back. I am biased as I love my VFR, but it is still a strong contender. I'd say the suspension is the thing most likely to disappoint especially when you are in the mood for a sports bike, probably a little soft. It's also a big lump for a daily ride / hacking about (when I have room I'll get something smaller in addition to the VFR).

It might be worth taking a look at the very latest VFR800 if its in your price range, they are meant to be very, very good.

Also if you like lots of electronic do-dahs, VFR1200?

Finally, one bike that might fit the bill completely Aprillia Tuono V4 APRC!!

Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 11:09 AM   #18
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I've a whiteboard in my garage with all the various MOT and tax dates on
Sheer genius.

*off to ebay for a whiteboard*
Old 08-04-15, 01:46 PM   #19
L3nny
Mega Poster

I did 10k on a VFR, in 2 years. It's okay, but that's it, just okay. From day 1 I started getting bored with it. While some might say it's perfect for everything I would say it's comprimised in every way. The new VFR however does seem a bit more exciting.

I spent yesterday riding 2 of the big tourers you mention and found them both much better than the VFR. More info here.

Last edited by L3nny; 08-04-15 at 01:51 PM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 02:59 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_God View Post
Problem which all of these if they're middle of the road, and will do pretty much anything, pretty good. Whereas I'm looking at something that will do pretty much anything 'very' well - which means anything with standard style suspensions (non-electronic / without quick adjustment) aren't going to cut it.
Such a bike doesn't exist, although your definition of "very well" will obviously be a very personal thing closely linked in with your ability to actually make use of what is available.

Put it this way, you won't find a bike that will allow you to tour two up around Europe for two weeks in complete comfort before finishing up at the Nurburgring where you will be able to worry the lap record...... Most people seeking such a thing find it is far more effective and considerably cheaper to buy a competent all rounder like many of the bikes mentioned and then invest in tuning the nut that holds the handlebars. Good luck though.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote