SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-14, 12:41 PM   #1
DomP

Default What is high mileage for an SV?

What is considered low/acceptable mileage for example an 04 sv. There's quite a few around on 30-40k. I know im going to get the well maintained high miles better than low miles poor maintenance answers but just looking for an idea as I'm more used to car mileages
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-14, 03:48 PM   #2
robertw95

Default Re: What is high mileage for an SV?

What Ive always done is judge the bike in person as you said high mileage can be much better looked after than a low one, speaking to the owner asking about maintenance gives you a decent idea.At 30k valve clearances are due again so id be looking for receipts of that being done and if not some cash knocked off
robertw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-14, 04:20 PM   #3
bs8c

I got mine with 55k and it runs smooth...Ask around as many questions as you can, and also pay attention little details on the bike...they often can tell you a lot about how the owner treated the bike.
Old 28-12-14, 04:23 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Always take a bike on face value. There are some bikes on the road with 90k on the clocks in almost out the box condition then there is some bikes with 3k that are rough as hell

The bike mileage rule of thumb is 3k a year. But there is exceptions to the rule

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-14, 04:42 PM   #5
DomP

Thanks for the tips. What am I looking at for getting valve clearances doing or is it possible to do yourself if you are competent.

30k on a ten year old bike is acceptable then, that's good as I think sv's around 2004 is about my budget. Thanks again
Old 28-12-14, 08:09 PM   #6
bs8c

I need to do valve clearance check/adjustment too, but idk if i want to do it myself... sorta scared to temper with stuff that actualy screw my bike
Old 28-12-14, 09:49 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I think around 4k a year for a bike is a typical mileage these days. Mine has 40k on it and although has a few more rattles than when it was new, it uses no oil and has never broken down or not started. So it's not really high mileage but plenty of buyers would be scared off by seeing 40k in an advert.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-14, 10:46 AM   #8
DomP

I was thinking 40k sounds like a fair amount on a bike, they rev so high it must affect life span
Old 29-12-14, 11:40 AM   #9
Markos_46

I bought my 08 with 18k miles and doubled the mileage in about 6 months, never had any problems and still runs sweet - aslong as the bikes been serviced regularly & not abused, should run fine for a long long time.

I keep thinking I'll get a new bike soon incase this one starts playing up but I cant see why it would aslong as its looked after it'll just keep going, things will wear out & need replacing but aslong as its not the engine I dont mind ha ha
Old 29-12-14, 06:24 PM   #10
Nutsinatin

My K9 had 35,000 miles on it and was running just fine until a car hit it, it was serviced regularly. I wasn't looking to change it any time soon (I do 20,000 a year) but will have to but I'll not worry racking the mileage back up.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote