SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-15, 05:54 PM   #1
DomP

Default Sv alternative?

Just to broaden my horizons if while I look out for an SV would a bandit be a suitable alternative? Or what other bikes would be recommended for the newly passed, I've looked at thundercats but they seem a bit heavy and maybe fast?
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 06:15 PM   #2
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv alternative?

The Bandit is a heavy uninspiring lump compared to the SV (personal opinion) its a completely different style of bike.

A friend had a Thundercat as his first bike I never rode it but he said it was a good beginners bike, if not a bit dated. he's a big guy 6'2" fairly large and would have killed an SV. It also had a lot more plastic that could be damaged in an off.

If your looking for alternatives to SV's an kwak ER6 would be another great bike.

But when you do get your SV (which you will ) you'll have the perfect first bike. the engine is lovely, its light small, has great responsive handling and you can develop it as you develop as a rider. I had mine four years and it went from completely standard to having top level suspension and other extra bits.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 07:02 PM   #3
DomP

I'm dead certain I want an SV, just I've ebay/gumtree'd them to death so wanted something else to think about and to make sure I wasn't missing something until I can get one.

Er6, bit ugly I think and yeah the thundercats do look quite 90s now
Old 10-01-15, 07:53 PM   #4
Nutsinatin

Thundercat is even longer in the tooth than the SV, they work fine though. (ex colleague had one until a lorry mated with it in the car park)
An older CBR600F wouldn't be too bad but they're pretty gutless. (Ridden, almost bought, still might if I can afford a second bike one day)
The ER6 is even more budget than an SV, plus the gearbox on the second gen is straight from a tractor, the newer third gen is supposed to be better. We both agreed the SV handled better than the ER6 and the engine was much more useable. (Rode an ex colleagues)
Please don't buy a Bandit, you will make me cry! Currently have one as a courtesy bike while my SV is being assessed (written off more like). It's heavy, handles like an oil tanker, is nervous in long corners, vibrates something awful below 6000 rpm and above 8000 rpm, wallows on and off the throttle, brakes are okay but the M/C lets it down, your feet touch the exhaust and center stand if you ride on the balls of your feet. However the dash is better than the SV, it is more pillion friendly and you can see out of the mirrors which do not vibrate. Paint is thin and easily scratched. I really hate it, but it isn't the most gutless IL4 out there.

The CBR/CBF/CBX 500s are down on power but reasonably priced and designed for beginners.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!

Last edited by Nutsinatin; 10-01-15 at 07:57 PM.
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 08:14 PM   #5
DomP

Ha ha that's a glowing assessment of bandits! I thought sv's were prone to vibration courtesy of their v twin.
Old 10-01-15, 08:36 PM   #6
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Ha ha that's a glowing assessment of bandits! I thought sv's were prone to vibration courtesy of their v twin.
dont believe a word of it,have owned a 1200 bandit and a 600 bandit,the 6 is if anything faster then the sv,handles well enough with out putting usd forks on it,and the motor is all but indestructible,and can be thrashed 1k into the redline day in and day out with out problem,build quality is the same as all suzukis,and like the sv will rust at the first sign of salt on unprotected parts,never found vibration a poiblem in the 30k or so ive used mine,and thay are cheap to repair,and if you are looking for a newer air/oil cooled bandit go for the 650,alot of bike for a little money,and the s version would be my first choice
Old 10-01-15, 08:55 PM   #7
wideguy

You didn't mention a budget, or what type of riding you do or want to do. (And of course I don't now the new rider limits, since the U.S. doesn't have any.)
Old 10-01-15, 10:24 PM   #8
DomP

Budget of a max £2000, I would like to think my riding would be a bit of commuting 15 miles to work on country main roads and general day off blasts. Not sure track days are for me.
Old 10-01-15, 10:29 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Deauville

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-15, 10:45 PM   #10
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

ANDY SMITH!!! That's a terrible thing to say on any forum!!

Dave at my work has just sold a Dough ball for £300, and he politely called it the Beige Hippo. I've never seen someone hate a bike as much as he hate that thing.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote