SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-08, 09:24 AM   #1
gavinsky23

Default Curvy starting and Idling Problems

I've got a '99 curvy with around 30k on the clock. Lately I've had two problems:

1. My bike usually starts first time no problem, if however it stops soon after starting, usually sidestand sticking on the way up and I put it in gear, it struggles to start again. It usually does eventually but keeps trying for ages before it fires.

2. Once the bike is warmed up, if I'm sitting idling say in traffic, my oil pressure light keeps flashing on/off. It never comes on constant and will not do it if I rev the bike a bit more. It currently idles at around 1400rpm which I think is correct.

Just wondering if anyone knows what could be causing either problem and any solutions. With regards to problem 2, is this likely due to engine wear and expected or is it a big problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-10-08, 09:33 AM   #2
sv650k4

Default Re: Curvy starting and Idling Problems

Wot dose the bike idle at?

Old 09-10-08, 09:38 AM   #3
gavinsky23

As above - 1400rpm. I don;t know if raising it would 'hide' the problem but I think 1400rpm is the recommended anyway.
Old 09-10-08, 09:54 AM   #4
Ceebl

Does it hold a steady idle when the throttle is closed or does it 'hunt' around (travels from 1k up to 3k etc)
Old 09-10-08, 09:57 AM   #5
gavinsky23

It remains pretty steady once warmed up. WHen cold it can creep about a little but is always stable when warmed up.
Old 09-10-08, 10:19 AM   #6
Ceebl

well thats ok i hav an 01 curvy n it was huntin etc and i needed to get the carbs balanced and all. check and see if your choke is sticky, once the bike warms up the choke will flood the engine instead and cause it to bog down and die, u can check the choke plungers etc in the carbs but i wud recommend play about with the actual choke control on the bars and see what happens, try pullin it all the way on and slammin it off etc
worked for me when mine went a bit sticky!!! this isnt technical help jus sum things to try without dismantlin the bike right now haha
Old 09-10-08, 11:06 AM   #7
gavinsky23

Cheers, I had the carbs balanced around 5k ago and think they're still OK. I'll try that with the choke but I don't think it's sticking. I usually use it on a bit when I start it when it's cold and let it warm up then turn the choke off and the revs fall to normal idle so don't think it's sticking.
Old 09-10-08, 04:22 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

As for the oil pressure light, the most common thing is for the pressure switch to be faulty. It is possible of course that you actually have no pressure....................

The oil level is correct isn't it?

I'd go with the others' suggestions re the chokes. The only reliable way to check is to take the plungers out and see what state the cables etc are in, no white cruddy corrosion. You're unlikely to feel anything at the lever end, it's usually a case of the plungers not closing fully which you don't feel (spring return).
Old 10-10-08, 08:35 AM   #9
gavinsky23

Cheers, the oil level is correct, I topped it up the other day to slightly below the max mark. Looks like I'll need to have a look at the choke, hopefully I can this weekend.
Old 10-10-08, 07:37 PM   #10
husky03
Mega Poster

Gav if you need a hand give me a shout this weekend mate-if you can get the bike over to Hamilton, you can balance your carbs here and get the plungers checked/cleaned out -i,m gonna be in the garage most of the weekend

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote