SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-01-12, 03:54 PM   #1
forky

Default Starting and running problems- cheapy Chinese bike.

Hi Guys just bought a Chinese enduro bike for dirt cheap £130 for something to do during this winter.

It's an 08 plate, 3000 miles on it. However it was left outside for a year so naturally when I got it home it didn't start.

Cleaned plug, drained fuel, took off carb freed up the carb slider which was stuck, cleaned, back together started .

However it wont hold idle at all and will only start and run with choke fully on. Thats problem number one

The end can has a huge whole in the side would it not hold idle due to lack of back pressure? Although i have never come across this before.

Problem two is the rev counter wont work, along with the front clock lights, headlight both beams, and indicators no sign of any life at all. I went through the wiring, everything seems too look ok, no split cables, everything wrapped up nicely etc. Im thinking a relay or something?

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by forky; 15-01-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 15-01-12, 04:03 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Enduro problems :(

I know if i take the baffle out of my scorpion can i put on my drz, its runs like crap so the hole in the can on your bike could have an effect.

Did you drain the tank and put some nice new fuel in it?

The running on choke only suggests its lean so maybe be some redex in the tank to give a blast through, worked on mine when i got some crap coming through out the tank, yours could have crap in it too, especially if left outside.

Wiring is a PITA, sometimes you spot the obvious, other times you have to go through it methodically until you find the fault.
I suspect being as theres a few things not working, its a linked fuse holder or something, id certainly check all fuses and take them out, inspect the holder isnt corroded and put them back in.
Old 15-01-12, 04:10 PM   #3
forky

Im going to have to source an exhaust for it before I can rule out that issue I think My Sv seems to run perfect with or without baffles but I leave them out I will try to modify a pit bike exhaust to fit I hope, due to not being able to find the standard one. Your going to laugh but I put old fuel back in :/ as apparently the chap i got the bike off tried to start it a month or so ago and "topped up" the existing fuel. I assumed that it wouldn't have a huge effect on how it would run??

I have stripped the bike down and not one single fuse anywhere I can do the majority of things just hate electrics
Old 15-01-12, 04:23 PM   #4
Specialone

Crappy old fuel, especially unleaded goes sticky and slightly thicker, I'd drain it tbh and put fresh fuel in.

Could you not just clamp a piece of thin steel sheet over the hole just to see if it runs better? Maybe a biscuit tin lid or something?

I've got the old can off my DRZ that I might consider selling cheap if you're stuck, it is not a lightweight one though.
Old 15-01-12, 04:24 PM   #5
hardhat_harry

2 stroke or 4 stroke?
Old 15-01-12, 04:30 PM   #6
forky

ah I shall drain and re fill with some new fuel, I think I have some stainless steel in the garage and can try good idea A friend of mine just contacted me saying he has a DR 350 exhaust so ill see if that one fits first thanks for your help mate but no doubt this will be the end of it lol.

and Hardhat it's a 4 stroke.

Last edited by forky; 15-01-12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 16-01-12, 12:15 AM   #7
SpikeTM

Default Re: Starting and running problems- cheapy Chinese bike.

Put fresh petrol in it and get the carb back off it's the jets that are blocked ,, carb off 1 jet out at a time and a good spray with carb /injector cleaner and use a bristle from a wire brush to push through the holes in jets to unblock them ,,, i'll bet it'll run fine afterwards
Old 16-01-12, 08:53 AM   #8
tj2

I had same prob (electrical) with my son's china ped....
Remove ignition switch dismantle and clean contacts, will almost certainly be green. The bike will still "start" and run as the ignition contacts in the switch have to be seperate for the bike to run.
check also tappet clearances (if 4 stroke) as most chinese bikes suffer from valve seat recession closing the gap and thus they may start, but run rough and not idle. Cleaning carb jets is always a must when a bike has been standing for a long period.

Chinese motorcycles Enjoy

By the way ther have been 5 of them gracing my household over the last couple of years.........................

HTH Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-12, 07:34 PM   #9
forky

hello again
1 put new plug in.
2 cleaned carb let soak over night took out all jets cleaned with carb cleaner blew through + a little wire in holes.
3 fresh fuel
4 same problem will start but choke on full, + have to rev it to keep it running.
Baring in mind that I have no exhaust on the bike atm.
will check ignition contacts now and report back. Im hoping it's not the "tappet clearances" as don't have a clue :O

Last edited by forky; 16-01-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 16-01-12, 08:42 PM   #10
forky

ignition contacts are fine