SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 13-04-13, 01:38 PM   #1
AJC

Default Good day, bad day...

Well today was interesting. Got the bike out to take it for its MOT, which it passed, which was nice! Advisory for front brakes which the guy agreed aren't warped but the floats are sticky causing a bit of wobble, I foresee new disks in my future...

However on the way there I got the dreaded pull and fine/points for speeding on the M77. Pretty frustrating as I was cruising along around 80 on my clock and even being overtaken by others. However on the stretch they clocked I blipped the throttle a bit to get past a van which was catching a lorry quickly, both to get out his blind spot and to not block him in. So they pulled me and not the car I was following at the same speed, was doing 89mph apparently! oops...

Also got the joy of explaining why the bike wasn't MOT'ed, luckily I had booked and they just rang the place to confirm that's where I was going.

Sooo, how much can I expect my insurance to touch me inappropriately for next year?
Old 13-04-13, 03:27 PM   #2
SuzukiNess

Default Re: Good day, bad day...

ouch, bad luck.. try one of the comparison sites, put your details in with points and then without and you should get a general idea of how much they going to "hit" you.
Old 13-04-13, 11:59 PM   #3
AJC

Yeah good plan, I will give that a go and report back!

Seems gone are the days where if you kept it under 90 you were pretty safe, more money to be made this way I guess. They overtook me and pulled another poor soul literally within 3 mins of me getting out the car! Raking it in...
Old 14-04-13, 02:09 PM   #4
AJC

Adds around 50-70 quid to my policy, not too awful really.
Old 14-04-13, 07:05 PM   #5
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

They have been hiding up the m77 Dumbreck south bound on ramp a few times. Zapping folk with their hair dryer. Chased and stopped a merc last time. Keep your eyes peeled. Never seen so many speed traps last few weeks.

Unlucky mate. Watch out for the SF prefix too.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-13, 10:19 PM   #6
AJC

No chance of avoiding them, I was clocked well before passing them. They are using a system of some sort which measured me between two bridges. I was slowed down to 70 at least 100-200 metres before passing the Beemer parked on the hard shoulder. Minute or so later they pulled in behind me, signalled for me to get in the car, already writing out the ticket.

Neither of them got out the car or even looked at the bike (which has a 'not for road use' exhaust on...). Pretty much a case of getting me issued with the ticket asap so they can get onto catching the next person...
Old 15-04-13, 11:29 AM   #7
Tiger 55

It's not what they want to be doing, I'll promise you that. Politics...
Old 15-04-13, 06:09 PM   #8
AJC

Yeah I understand that, but it is a shame that's the way policing seems to be going. I used to find people saying all they want to do is get easy fines a cliche, but I know my opinion and many I have spoken to has changed.

This personally is my fifth interaction with police in the last few years, where there probably involved some police work I was told pretty quickly 'there is probably little we can do' but when it came to dishing out fines they were plenty fast enough. I know its not their fault I really do, but you still cant help but starting to build up a real dislike after a while...
Old 15-04-13, 07:04 PM   #9
The Guru

That's the chance we take when we speed. It's a ****er but they done their job catching you breaking the law.. Or am I missing some miscarriage of justice?
Old 15-04-13, 07:27 PM   #10
AJC

I dont think I say at any point the fine wasn't correct so yours is a completely moot point cheers though...