SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-09, 07:56 AM   #111
Brettus

Default Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Mine was kicking in at 3500, after the morning ride in I have to say that slow speed corners are now much more predictable and trundling along at 40 in 5th no longer feels "undulating".

Thanks for the guide, much appreciated, worth checking even if just to see how far out your is set
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 02:42 PM   #112
Ian P

Mine was kicking in just shy of 4000rpm
Have now got it set at 1800rpm
Has made it allot smother at low speeds
Many thanks
Ian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 09:12 PM   #113
Rocket

I found my 03 thou was set around 1,900RPM when warm (1,500 when stone cold). I've adjusted it as per but also balanced the throttle bodies whilst I was in there. Can't really say I ever had low RPM problems and have only done 30 miles on it since. Too early to tell if it has made any difference.

Can anyone explain where the 1,450RPM value was derived from as the procedure in the Suzuki manual downloaded off here has a diferent procedure that makes no mention of it.
Old 10-07-09, 11:41 AM   #114
Rocket

I've just done Dianes 650K4 and when warm the line on the dash was at the bottom, not the middle. Didn't go to the top until 3,000RPM. I have set it to 1,450 and balanced the throttle bodies at the same time. Couldn't fail to notice a big improvement this time.
Old 11-07-09, 08:50 PM   #115
captainham

Ok ok, I admit I was a little sceptical that something as simple as this could do so much good, but I figured 12+ pages of rave reviews couldn't be wrong...

...and they weren't - absolutely phenomenal difference, why all SVs aren't like this to begin with, I'll never know (there is NO way my K8 was ever like this but has since fallen out of adjustment, so I'd have to disagree strongly with those that say it leaves Suzuki's care in this condition).

Thank you so much, so much more confidence inspiring, I'm truly blown away by it.
Old 11-07-09, 08:53 PM   #116
captainham

PS. For anyone that hasn't done this yet, I found it best to set the TPS initially so that it kicked in at idle, but then as I tightened it back up it dropped back to around 1650/1700rpm...that was precise enough for me, we are really talking a gnat's c0ck of adjustment..
Old 11-07-09, 08:55 PM   #117
Dave Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I found my 03 thou was set around 1,900RPM when warm (1,500 when stone cold). I've adjusted it as per but also balanced the throttle bodies whilst I was in there. Can't really say I ever had low RPM problems and have only done 30 miles on it since. Too early to tell if it has made any difference.

Can anyone explain where the 1,450RPM value was derived from as the procedure in the Suzuki manual downloaded off here has a diferent procedure that makes no mention of it.
I'm guessing the 1,450 is purely picked as just above the recommended idle range. That is - you want the injectors to start pumping more fuel as soon as you nudge the throttle. This is all it takes to keep the SV trundling along at low speeds / revs. Any higher and you'd still have uneven running.

Same applies for higher revs and lower gears where the engine isn't labouring.... My SV still felt rough at 4,000 revs before - not now.
Old 26-07-09, 04:52 PM   #118
gypsy_100

Thumbs up Re: TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide

Great tutorial. Thanks. Just completed the process on my new ’09 DL650 V-Strom and the results are outstanding. My comments (V-Strom based and USA locale)… One of my biggest complaints was surging or jerkiness on deceleration as much as acceleration. Trying to hold a nice 5K rpm for a downhill sweeper or decelerate for a curve I’d find the bike surging or jerking as it passed thru certain rpm ranges, no doubt related to the exact throttle position/sensor position. This adjustment dramatically improved that complaint, and did wonders for the off-idle acceleration smoothness, too. I bought the official mode switch (09930-82720) for $14 US and a complete set of security torx bits at Sears (item 25702) for about $12 US. With the proper bit, there was no problem loosening the fastener. On the ‘09’s, and I assume ‘07’s and later, there is no idle adjustment screw. The computer keeps it running where it wants it. That simplifies things for this procedure. My TPS sensor had a mark painted on it by the factory. (If yours doesn’t, be sure you do it yourself.) Before adjustment, I found the “transition point” from the middle bar to the upper bar on the instrument panel readout was about 4K rpm. I loosened the fastener just enough so I thought I could move it the tiniest amount with some pressure. I applied a little pressure, did not feel the TPS sensor move at all, checked the throttle and found the transition point was now just about 1450 rpm. That’s how sensitive this adjustment is! I looked at the painted reference mark and could not visibly detect that the sensor had been moved at all. I gently tightened it, checked the throttle again – still the same, finished tightening it – still the same. I checked several times and the transition point was still there about 1450. Buttoned everything up, took a 50-mile test ride, rechecked again and all was well. And the test ride was great. Thanks again for the info. I’ll post this summary on the V-Strom forums and lead them to your tutorial.
Dave
Old 28-09-09, 07:37 PM   #119
Rocket

Well I know this might put the cat amongst the pidgeons but here goes. After doing this mod to my 03 thou I noticed straight away that my average fuel consumption had dropped from 55 to 52mpg. This was an average over 2,000 miles. I had changed nothing else on the bike so decided to undo the mod. I have now set my TPS so that the top line on the dash is displayed at as high an RPM as possible whilst still making sure that the middle line is displayed at tickover. This worked out at 2,500 RPM. Straight away the fuel consumption went back up to 55mpg and the bike is non the worse for it at low RPM.
Old 28-09-09, 08:10 PM   #120
captainham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
After doing this mod to my 03 thou I noticed straight away that my average fuel consumption had dropped from 55 to 52mpg
Can't say I've noticed a drop in my own MPG since doing this and that was 1k ago.

Are you sure you weren't just gunning the throttle more