SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-06, 10:33 PM   #1
Bud

Default Curvy SV starting problems

I’m having some troubles with starting the bike – not first thing in the morning or after it’s been left for some time but usually when I’ve had taken it out for anywhere between 2 and 20+ miles, then get off go somewhere and return within the hour to start it!

It’s really bizarre because as I said, it’s fine first thing in the morning. Also, it’s idling and running smoothly when it does go. It’s not the battery, which is only 3 months old, as the engine does turn over but it doesn’t fire-up.

I love my girl….but I’m thinking of leaving her for another, more reliable bike. Please help me fix this relationship!!!
Old 30-03-06, 06:26 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

NOT AGAIN !

a few more detail would help?

what type is it?
how long have you had it?
how old?
what mileage?
are you saying it's only when the engine is hot?
when was it last serviced?
was it layed up over winter?
how long has it been a problem?
does the engine turn and it not fire up?
are the electrics dead?
does it just "click"?
any mods to the bike?
do riding conditons make any difference?
you say " between 2-20+ miles", so thats any distance over a couple of miles then/ just once it's got to temp?

Go no problem with giving advice, but without information, it's comes across as " my bike is broke, please fix it, Oh its blue".

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-06, 07:41 AM   #3
Bud

Sorry - it was late when I posted!

It's a curvy SV650 2000 (W) that has done 7,800 miles.
Not only when the engine is hot but also when it's been for a run and has had a chance to cool down (say after an hour or so max).

It was last serviced in Dec '05 and it was a full and comprehensive service (that cost a pretty penny!).

It's been ridden throughout winter although it's been out a bit less frequently recently (only a couple of times per week).

It's had the problem for about 1 month but seems to be getting worse.

The engine turns and the electronics are fine, so it's not just a click when I try to start it.

No mods to the bike that would've affected it.

It seems to have most trouble starting after the bike has warmed up and then been left anywhere from 5 - 45 mins.

Ta/Rob
Old 30-03-06, 08:09 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

judging from what you've said, I'd start with the plugs, whip out the rear one (easiest to get to) and see what colour it is and if the gap is set right? were they replaced, not strictly needed, but it could be, also if they are a little light in colour, you could have a fuel feed problem or air leak (carb leak or even one of the rubber bits off the intake).

Check for good spark.
whilst your under there, chack out the feed wires to the two coils ( one on the cross rail at the back, the other on the inside left).

just off the top of my head, but somewhere to start.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote