SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-10-09, 11:13 PM   #1
ManxMatt34

Default How to dry out the inside of a car?

Ok i parked my car on the sea front whilst i was at work tuesday, forgot the tide was going to be rather high with a powerful wind blowing into it.

I went to it at 3pm to move it closer to work (only allowed 2 hours where i work pain in backside).

I had to wait for a break in the waves which were going over the roof of the car and compeltly drowning it and ran to it jumped in being missed with a matter of seconds by a wave.

Anyway i got inside to find a lake in my car, so i spent all evening drying the lake with a mop. however the floor remains soaked, so how do i dry it, i tried running the car for over an hour full blast heating and it did next to nothing.

Any ideas?

P.s. dunno how it got wet inside, door was shut, no sunroof, windows were up, iwonder if the door seal is going because it looks like thats where the salt water was coming from once dried up.
Old 22-10-09, 11:25 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: How to dry out the inside of a car?

When I had the infamous "Ford Focus screen seal leak" I found on a cold dry night when the humidity is low if you get and extension lead and a normal houshold fan heater, put it in the car and leave it going for a few hours with the windows a couple inches open it tends to dry it out very well.

Obviously be aware of the fire risk and keep an eye on it...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-09, 11:33 PM   #3
malks

few options that spring to mind, put a couple of newspapers into each footwell, that should help draw some of the moisture to, then just remove and replace with new ones that are soaked.

can u put it in a garage at home? if so get a heater in the garage and have all the doors and boot lid left wide open over night to help dry out.

run an extension cord out to the car an put a heater inside with the windows open to let the moisture out, or put a dehumidifier in too too attract all the damp air.

or just put on water proofs and drive with the interior soaking wet, it'll be like riding the bike in the wet!
Old 22-10-09, 11:35 PM   #4
ManxMatt34

Ahaha, no the seats are dry, all the drivers side foot hold and under the seat is like a sponge, i mopped up the original lake until the mop was not essentially picking any water up, but i had about an inches worth of water covering the whole drivers side of the floor.

I'll give the paper and portable heater ideas ago... windows fully open or just abit to allow the air to rise out with the heater?
Old 22-10-09, 11:40 PM   #5
skeetly

YC's wood stove...........
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-09, 11:42 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxMatt34 View Post
Ahaha, no the seats are dry, all the drivers side foot hold and under the seat is like a sponge, i mopped up the original lake until the mop was not essentially picking any water up, but i had about an inches worth of water covering the whole drivers side of the floor.

I'll give the paper and portable heater ideas ago... windows fully open or just abit to allow the air to rise out with the heater?
just enough to allow the hot air to escape, i found a couple of inches for each window front and back is OK, you want the car to be as warm inside as possible without risking the heater malfunctioning
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-09, 11:43 PM   #7
ManxMatt34

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
just enough to allow the hot air to escape, i found a couple of inches for each window front and back is OK, you want the car to be as warm inside as possible without risking the heater malfunctioning
I can only open the front two windows, i'll do that a couple inches either side and let you know how i get on tomorrow evening, cheers Matt.
Old 23-10-09, 08:09 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Discussions on this matter with my colleuges lead to the suggestion of copious amounts of phosphorous pentoxide spread all over the place.

However, I don't think this would be a very good idea really.

Ummm...you can get one of those vax hoovers used for cleaning carpets, and suck the water up?

You'll have to take all the seats out really
Old 23-10-09, 08:09 AM   #9
Kinvig

Thread....worthless....photos......
Old 23-10-09, 08:24 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

once you do dry it out sell it quick because it will now rust badly and quickly