SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 06-06-04, 12:48 AM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Motrax DHB and DHM crash mushrooms

Just fitted a set of each to my '00 model... First things first, the instructions are really awful, they have a couple of nice pictures of an SV, but they manage to miss out a whole section of the assembly process. Finally worked it out after 20 minutes head scratching.

Anyway, not crashed yet, so I don't know if they work, but they certainly seem solid... And they stick out from the bike a good 3 inches past the fairing. Checking the lines from swingarm sliders to frame sliders suggests that if you go down hard, you're still going to tear up your exhaust pipe on the right, but on the left pretty much everything other than the rear bodywork should be protected unless it rolls over. (I'm considering fitting the old cack Motrax ones to the pillion bolts on the rear subframe, to protect the can and the rear end)

Their looks may or may not appeal to you, I like 'em though I wish they didn't have the bright yellow writing on the bungs... It's nice to have matching mushrooms and barends, and even nicer to get ride of the dinged up barends and usless old-style motrax mushrooms.

They fit to the very front engine bolt, so they'd interfere badly with lower fairings I think.

Proof of the pudding is in the crashing, of course, but they seem as solid as the R&Gs or Bikesliders, and cost only £50 including postage for the mushrooms and barends combined. Also, they included a pair of stickon bodywork pads, which I won't be using as they have "DOUBLE HARD *******!" written on them in huge letters, but if you don't mind that then they'd be a useful extra.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 06:33 AM   #2
adman

i heard the other day from a motrax dealer that dhm had now gone out of business
Old 06-06-04, 08:50 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Doesn't make any sense to say that, it's just a Motrax product, not a seperate company. But maybe they've stopped making 'em... There's quite a lot on Ebay at the mo that could be stock clearances. Ah well, doesn't matter none to me, I've got some
Old 06-06-04, 07:20 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

And... They work! Well, i landed on really soft ground so they dug in, but they bore the brunt of the crash and aren't even dented... My fairing's still cracked and scratched, but I reckon it would have been worse otherwise. All hail the DHM!
Old 06-06-04, 08:39 PM   #5
adman

did you really have to test them though
Old 06-06-04, 09:57 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Well, it was going to annoy me until I did
Old 06-06-04, 10:02 PM   #7
adman

lol maybe i should test my topbloke ones theyre made by motrax we can compare results
Old 22-08-04, 06:34 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Just a followup to this one, after 3 months the right hand one's failed just while being reattached to the bike after removal, as the outer part of the arrangement was secured by only 6mm or so of thread in an ally spacer, and it stripped under a fraction of the recommended torque. if I hear anything back from Motrax, I'll follow this up...