SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Riding Gear Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 18-02-16, 10:04 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Sat Nav

Biking dedicated Sat Nav
What do you have? Make & Model

What do you like & dislike about it?

I've Had TomTom & Garmin for car Sat navs and don't mind either, especially as both have Tyre to create routes on. The rest of the features appear to be very similar on the ones I am looking at: TomTom 400 & Garmin Zumo 390LM

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 07:05 PM   #2
Nutsinatin

Default Re: Sat Nav

I've got a TomTom Rider 400, and now that the software has had a few updates it works really well for me.

The charger attaches via ram mount so is easy to remove, however the connector is very weedy and not got a cover, I used to stick a bit of tape over it when not in use but I haven't done that for the last six months and it's still working fine, so it's better than I gave it credit for.

I've used it for a few thousand miles now and it still works like new; battery life seems to be around five or six hours, but as the mount is powered I tend to let it charge on the bike so I don't often run the battery down. The screen is permanently on, there is no option for the screen to turn off when not giving directions (again, powered mount so not really an issue). Directions wise it is great, really clear especially at junctions with a screen big enough to easily view at a glance, any questions feel free to ask.

Screen works with summer gloves, winter gloves sometimes take a few attempts to press the screen but mostly it picks it up first time. Using Tyre to put routes on works and you can manipulate routes on the go by removing waypoints etc, although it doesn't keep the names you give the waypoint on Tyre which is a shame. The winding routes option is also good if you want to explore an area or just have a bit more time and want to take the scenic route.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-16, 11:14 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsinatin View Post

The charger attaches via ram mount so is easy to remove, however the connector is very weedy and not got a cover, I used to stick a bit of tape over it when not in use but I haven't done that for the last six months and it's still working fine, so it's better than I gave it credit for.

Is this the connector form the mount to the lead which goes to your power source? Nice thing on the BMW is the CANBUS system won't keep supplying power, so not too much of an issue, hopefully!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-16, 10:36 AM   #4
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

You may well find a sat nav specific plug on the CANBUS loom for satnavs, mine is at the headstock. You buy a plug from nippynorman. I use mine as a feed for one of Bibios gizmos and hence to the satnav, gloves and charger outlet.
I use a Garmin 660LM and well happy. I also have a Garmin Montana which is worth checking as they are much more versatile if you also walk, cycle, climb, sail, etc.
Old 20-02-16, 10:38 AM   #5
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Oh forgot to say the 660 has a speaker and comes with a car mount so can double up.
Old 21-02-16, 06:14 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Tom Tom rider V5
Working fine.
Does what it said on the tin

Last edited by NTECUK; 21-02-16 at 06:16 PM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-16, 06:31 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I also have the Garmin Zumo 660LM.

I use it for both car and bike and it works well on both modes. I've got it fixed to the bike on the ram mount then straight into the battery and I just take it off every time I stop and lock it in my top box. It's got a good bright display that helpfully flashed up a pic of the junction you need on motorways.

Easy to use with gloves on. It has Bluetooth but I don't use that.

Routes are easy to programme in.

This one was rated the best by Ride magazine. Tesco had it on offer when I bought it.
Old 21-02-16, 09:53 PM   #8
Essex of Essex

I've had Garmin and Tom Tom, prefer the Garmin to use and for its' robustness however Tom Tom customer services always seemed to be better.

Zumo 550 many years old and now on a third bike.