SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-07, 08:57 PM   #1
M1TCH

Default Is it the rectifier?

Had a suspicion that the battery has had it as when I bought the bike as it had stood for a while over winter...or so I was told.

Charged the battery for 2 weeks, went for a 3 mile ride down the road....then had to be bump started by my mates.

So I got a new battery and when I installed it I put the charger on it and it went straight into trickle charge mode.

After riding all day yesterday and the bike starting much easier with the new battery in full force I thought it was fine, got home put the charger on and it went into charge mode not trickle, thought it was a bit odd as I had done 63 miles in all.

So decided I best test the electrics tonight (put it off before). The voltage from the generator across the teminals was 92,17 & 17v and in the haynes it says a total of more than 70v so I'm guessing thats fine. The resistance also totalled up to over the 0.2 ohm it said was minimum.

When putting the meter on the battery, lights on engine off = 13.9v and when holding revs at 5k like it says with lights on it dropped to 13.2v. Haynes said it should be between 13.5-15.5v iirc.

So am I looking at a fooked rectifier?

Cheers
Old 26-03-07, 09:11 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is it the rectifier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1TCH View Post
The voltage from the generator across the teminals was 92,17 & 17v and in the haynes it says a total of more than 70v so I'm guessing thats fine. The resistance also totalled up to over the 0.2 ohm it said was minimum.
To be certain, are you saying that across one pair of alternator wires you've got 92V but across the other two pairs you have 17V from each? If so then the alternator, (or possibly the wiring thereof), is goosed. There should be a minimum of 70V from each phase not 70V total. Apologies if I misunderstand you, but we need to be sure of the results you have and from where they have been taken.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-07, 09:27 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

To clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! (An Excerpt From A Previous Related Charging Fault Thread) View Post
...but first a check of the alternator output will determine this, do this: disconnect the reg/rec unit connectors and identify the three yellow wires, these are the alternator connections, and they can be considered to be three pairs, that is if you were to name them A, B and C, you could have a pair A and B, a pair B and C, and a pair A and C. using a voltmeter with an AC setting of about 100V check the output between each of the three pairs, at about 5000 rpm there should be about 70V AC, the most important thing is to satisfy yourself that all three pairs are about the same output, any one markedly different reading should stand out.
If I get you correctly, you have a reading of 90V A-B, but only 17V between B-C & A-C, is that right?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 26-03-07, 09:33 PM   #4
M1TCH

correct, I'm pretty certain thats what we got and from reading the manual it said a total of 70v

did seem a little odd its not how you would normally balance 3 phase lol
Old 26-03-07, 10:14 PM   #5
Baph

I'm with Mr Squid. The 90,17,17 stood out straight away as being odd.

Suspect a faulty alternator giving an inadequate feed to the rectifier.

Take measurements again as per Sid's post, then if you get the same results as we're thinking, change the alternator.

Also, be ready for the possibility that the alternator fault has fubar'd the rectifier as well. Not nice news, but it can happen.
Old 26-03-07, 10:18 PM   #6
M1TCH

ok ill check it again tomorrow. cheers
Old 26-03-07, 10:36 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Suspect a faulty alternator giving an inadequate feed to the rectifier.

Take measurements again as per Sid's post, then if you get the same results as we're thinking, change the alternator.
Assuming your method of checking is correct, (I'm sure it is, but there's no harm in confirming it),then obviously something's wrong, but looking on the bright side I've never encountered an actual knackered SV alternator myself, obviously it can most certainly happen, but I'd say there was room for optimism as the few SV alternator faults I've met have been wiring problems. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Also, be ready for the possibility that the alternator fault has fubar'd the rectifier as well. Not nice news, but it can happen.
True, but again despite fiddling with a few SVs I've never met a duffed reg/rec that accompanied an underperforming alternator*. Fingers crossed x2.

* There's no shortage of screwed SV reg/recs of course, but they seem to like doing that spontaneously, irrespective of alternator condition.

Old 26-03-07, 10:47 PM   #8
Baph

See, I wasn't talking specifically about SV's. Just generally that alternator faults can cause rectifier issues

But yes, I see your point, a faulty alterntor doesn't always mean a faulty rectifier. Nice that the man is aware of the possibility though