SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-10, 05:55 PM   #1
Stewbie

Default Clutch Problem, Still.

Ok, so I've read quite a few threads about how to adjust the clutch after changing the chain and sprockets.

So, I changed the chain and sprockets, and took the lifter off and put it all back together and it doesn't work. I've found Sid Squid's guide to adjustment afterwards, assuming it is all put back together correctly. So that's what I want to check.

I think it's right, but I'm often wrong! If it is wrong, please tell me!

Thanks a lot,

Stu
Old 14-04-10, 10:34 PM   #2
Stewbie

Default Re: Clutch Problem, Still.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 15-04-10, 01:19 AM   #3
davepreston

simple test
does it work
make sure you put the securing tab back (little lip above worm drive screw)
Old 15-04-10, 06:22 AM   #4
shelleyamy

If you slacken off the 10mm nut on the worm drive, and turn the little screw in, does it move the lifter arm?
Mike
Old 15-04-10, 06:55 AM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It doesn't look wrong - but the picture isn't big, and, as Dave says, the proof of the pudding is in the clutch working properly.

The screw doesn't make the arm move as such, in essence it adjusts the effective length of the rod that the lifter pushes, as you will have seen the cable pulls the arm and the thread in the lifter moves the threaded section and thus the rod away from you, obviously it can only travel between two points, its upper and lower extremes, if the rod were effectively too short the lifter would get to its uppermost position before pushing the rod and the clutch would not lift, and if too long it would not allow the rod to move back to the rest position, toward you, and the clutch would not be released.
You say you've already adjusted the lifter as per my guide - what is the problem you're now experiencing? Does the clutch not lift, or does it not release?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-10, 11:27 AM   #6
Stewbie

Sorry, I didn't realise that I hadn't put the actual problem there. The clutch doesn't engage at all, so with the bike in gear, and the clutch in, the wheel doesn't move. Like the clutch isn't in at all

Also, the 10mm nut on the screw doesn't turn on properly, I could give it more force but it feels like it'll strip the threads. Is that normal?
Old 15-04-10, 11:46 AM   #7
beabert

looks and sounds like you have screwed the center bit in too far. Undo the nut, get a screwdriver and undo the screw in he middle of the nut, if you look behind where your screwing when the mechanism stop moving thats where the screw should be at, then tighten the nut surrounding the screw to stop it moving.

Last edited by beabert; 15-04-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 15-04-10, 11:48 AM   #8
beabert

where do you live?
Old 15-04-10, 11:54 AM   #9
Stewbie

I live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. I'll give it a go now and let you know the result. Cheers.
Old 15-04-10, 12:00 PM   #10
Stewbie

Nope, it's still the same as it was. Like I say though, the nut doesn't seem to tighten down on the screw. It just feels like it'll strip the threads on the screw.