SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-10-07, 07:40 PM   #1
leemole

Smile im goin for a job here any tips

clicky http://www.peoplistix.com/default.aspx

im goin for a junior support engineer role but dont know anything about programing or .net ect. All i know is cabling really, any tips to make me sound like i know what im talkin about in my interview on thursday ??
Old 23-10-07, 07:59 PM   #2
Welsh_Wizard

Default Re: im goin for a job here any tips

Dummies Guide to Microsoft .Net ??
Old 23-10-07, 08:00 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

In which case you will be in big trouble. development experience is not something you can bluff. Even simple stuff like .net requires you to have some knowledge of the framework and a good understanding of object orientated programming and methodologies.

Be honest, tell them it is an area you wish to explore. As a junior support tech you will start off with the simple stuff and hopefully get some training. If it is not on offer, walk away
Old 23-10-07, 08:03 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Wizard View Post
Dummies Guide to Microsoft .Net ??

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 08:09 PM   #5
leemole

its more cctv and epos/pos systems area i applied for as i was a sparks mate for years and im looking for something a bit more challenging, so hopefully i wont have to get in too deep
Old 24-10-07, 08:24 AM   #6
Pedro68

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
In which case you will be in big trouble. development experience is not something you can bluff. Even simple stuff like .net requires you to have some knowledge of the framework and a good understanding of object orientated programming and methodologies.

Be honest, tell them it is an area you wish to explore. As a junior support tech you will start off with the simple stuff and hopefully get some training. If it is not on offer, walk away
+1 ... if you promise to give them something you don't possess (e.g. programming and .net knowledge) then don't be surprised when they decide to employ someone who does posses those things (and you find yourself back to square one).

Sure you'll have earned a few months wages by then (if you're lucky), but then you'll have to explain to future prospective employers why you were fired.

Not a good situation to be in IMHO ... be honest with them.

Emphasise what you CAN bring to their business, and stress your willingness to learn new skills (like programming and .net). You never know, they may give you a go, and with a bit of training, you could find a nice new career

Good luck with it though

Pete
Old 25-10-07, 04:25 PM   #7
leemole

Thumbs up Re: im goin for a job here any tips

woo think i got it !!!!!!!! he said 99.9% sure he just had to speak to the chief engineers and will let me know tomorrow !!! he said of all the applicants only me got an interview
Old 25-10-07, 04:41 PM   #8
Razor

Good one Leemole, good for you.