SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-17, 11:10 AM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top selling bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
I reckon that's just the bikes over 750cc category.
I'd agree. Aren't the top sellers usually 125s and commuter scooters?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 11:45 AM   #12
Red ones
Mega Poster

The list is of the top 10 registrations with DVLA in 2017 of bikes over 125cc.
The numbers are poor this year. Number 10 didn't even sell 500 bikes.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 01:02 PM   #13
Chris_SVS

Spotted a number of tigers, a KTM adventure, a Bandit 600, a Curvy SV, a GN125 with a learnerist onboard (instructor was on a big toury BMW R1100RT kind of thing) and a Z750

No sportsbikes
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-17, 01:24 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

There was once a day when you had to buy a sports bike if you wanted plenty of power with decent suspension, that simply isn't the case anymore. If you are only going to have the one bike, and you're into track days and such like, then they still make sense but if you're only ever going to be riding on the road then there are better packages available now. Having said that very few riders who buy a bike do so because they need the performance it offers, and even less are actually capable of accessing it.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-17, 02:33 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

These days I want a bike that is not too expensive, pretty quick up to legal speed limit, reasonably low seat, decent tank range and mpg, does not require me to keep swapping cogs to keep in the power band and is fun to ride and reliable. A secondary consideration is that it sounds nice but does not **** my neighbours off. Guess what, I have an SV AL7...............

The truth is I think that millennials don't do motorbikes, and motorbike rider stats are same as farmers in UK, the average age of a rider is probably over 50.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-17, 04:47 PM   #16
timwilky
Mega Poster

I realised a little sports bike was right many years ago when I had a numpty pull out on me on a country lane. I was able to grab a big handful with my right. control the suspension dive and the attempt to lift the rear. lose enough mph to flick it behind him and get round.

Had I still been on an SV, I would had been either in the side of him or sliding down the road towards him. Unfortunately, budget bike do not have the brakes, suspension and thus handling that you sometimes need when it goes all tits up.

Only having 29" inside leg also means a lot of bikes are also a non starter.
Old 30-10-17, 05:41 PM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I realised a little sports bike was right many years ago when I had a numpty pull out on me on a country lane. I was able to grab a big handful with my right. control the suspension dive and the attempt to lift the rear. lose enough mph to flick it behind him and get round.

Had I still been on an SV, I would had been either in the side of him or sliding down the road towards him. Unfortunately, budget bike do not have the brakes, suspension and thus handling that you sometimes need when it goes all tits up.
Very rare situations make bad examples (like hard cases make for bad law), did I mention my SV also has ABS and a couple of 10watt LED spotlights and an 80watt (equivalent filament wattage) LED bulb in the headlight, I believe in being seen well in advance of where my bike is - it makes me shudder when I see blokes doing stupid speeds in inappropriate places and relying on a glow-worm in a jam jar for a headlight (or no headlight on at all) and no DRL or auxiliary lighting.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 31-10-17 at 08:57 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-17, 07:06 PM   #18
Toooldtodie

Was looking at the Tracer 900 to replace my old SV. Just decided to go with a new Nitron rear shock, Ohlins front springs and a full service on every bearing that bears. See if in two years time I still want to upgrade...
Old 30-10-17, 07:20 PM   #19
Trev B

No matter what you’ve got,never ride faster than you guardian angel can fly.
Old 30-10-17, 07:29 PM   #20
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Had I still been on an SV, I would had been either in the side of him or sliding down the road towards him.
If you had been on an AL7 with ABS you would probably have been fine.
Its amazing how hard you can pull the brake lever and stay upright.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote