SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-10, 06:09 PM   #1
Rich
Mega Poster

Default K8 GSXR600 electrical problem.

Hey guys, it's been a while. Now i'm back and in need of some org advise. Was going to take the bike out for a spin today, did all my checks, oil, tyre pressures, chain ect. Started it up first time, it's been stood for 2months. Took it out round the block (through town), must have done 4miles when the oil pressure light came on along with 5D or SD flahing in the temp guage (i've read this means steering damper problems ).

So i head home only a mile away fortunately and when i pull up on the drive it dies on me. Turn ignition off/on again everything lights up, try to turn it over and it sounds like the battery is dead. I've not had a dead battery on a bike before, could it be that i didn't go far enough to charge it up? I tested the battery and it reads 11volts .. I'm gona get a charger and then try it again tomorrow, i'm hoping these warning lights came on because it was low on charge. Or could something else have happened? Hope i havent damaged anything!!

Thanks in advance
Rich
Old 30-01-10, 07:03 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: K8 GSXR600 Probs!

11 volts means your battery is flatter than a flat thing on a flat day in Flatville - but; how accurate and reliable is your meter?
However as it started easily enough in the first place then even if the battery is low, the charging system should be doing all that's needed to run the bike and charge the battery too.
At 11 volts there will very likely be strange electrical things happening, charge the battery first, refit it and make sure everything is working properly before starting the motor.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-10, 09:51 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

Default Re: K8 GSXR600 electrical problem.

Cheers Sid, I used a multimeter and it showed 11volts, tested on other batteries it shows 12v. I'll charge it and see whats occuring. It ran a treat aswell so it was abit wierd how it happened all of a sudden. I havent had the battery on charge ever while its been stood, could it have lost its ability to hold the charge?

Rich
Old 30-01-10, 10:23 PM   #4
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: K8 GSXR600 electrical problem.

I think there's only one solution, a 750!!