SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-18, 02:31 PM   #1
drbyers

Default Braking performance

Is it just me or is braking performance on the older generation SVs mediocre? I've had 600s, 675s and liter bikes and they've all had significantly better braking performance. I mean, it's not even close. My current 2006 has abysmal stopping power.

I've sanded down the pads and rotors and bled the brakes. The only thing I haven't done is a brake pad upgrade. It's just unnerving how long it takes to come to a complete stop.
drbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 02:42 PM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Braking performance

I managed to stop on my K6 from about 85 to a stand still in about 4 car lengths when an Audi driver changed his mind and the room ran out really quick. No idea how I managed to warp the laws of physics but I'm really glad I did. I don't think the Audi driver quite believed it either.

Nothing wrong with SV brakes - and mine could really do with a service.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:04 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

with all two pot sliding callipers they need serviced properly and regularly to get the best out of them.

when i say serviced i mean a proper strip down to individual components and seal grooves cleaned out then assembled with RRG. same goes for the mater cylinders.

the best pads i have used are DP Brakes (Dunlop Pads), their bite, feel and wet weather stopping is superb. EBC by comparison feel wooden.

v-twins dont need massive stopping power as they have lots of engine braking and most long term riders of them tend not to use the brakes much and instead rely on the engine braking. i have a gsxr front end and radial brakes on my SV and its a lethal combination with the engine braking, its too good.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:11 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Brakes on my K6 are fine, I can get the back wheel off the ground with two fingers. It's two years since I bled them and greased the slide pins, although I don't ride when it's wet so they see minimal water/salt spray
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:33 PM   #5
Talking Heads

Braking performance is limited by grip betwixt tyre and road rather than hardware.

SV brakes just require a harder pull.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:36 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

My bike has about 45k on it now and the brakes definitely aren't as good as they used to be, even after a good going over. I've not looked at the sliding pins for wear, but a good few years ago you could haul it up a lot quicker. I'm referring to track riding, where you get plenty of opportunity to heave on the brakes hard and repeatedly, as well as road riding where like Bibs says, you don't need them that much once you're out of town.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 03:40 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

brakes cant be that bad as the supertwin racers have to use them and they go pretty fekin quick.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-18, 05:40 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
brakes cant be that bad as the supertwin racers have to use them and they go pretty fekin quick.
Well Berlin used to haul up a minitwin plus 20st exceptionally well with standard brakes and race pads

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 05:14 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

My experience is clearly no match for your anecdote. Perhaps mileage and an £80 set of brake pads are in there somewhere.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 05:33 AM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
My experience is clearly no match for your anecdote. Perhaps mileage and an £80 set of brake pads are in there somewhere.
Was using it as an example. Tbh that bike could have had a 100k on it as the speedo failed at 60k

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote