SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-08, 05:26 PM   #31
Ceri JC

Default Re: Motorway experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Ride at 130mph for 1 minute, then 80-90 feels fine
Tank bags actually help a bit too.
PMSL! So true.
Old 03-11-08, 05:57 PM   #32
bris

I had the same problem on my DAS when I did a lifesaver on the city bypass at 70, when I had a minute I asked my instructor about it and he told me never to do a lifesaver at those speeds as its to dangerous as by the time you do one the ground you have covered in the time could take you into the car in front if they have to stop for any reason. Good mirror obs and forward planning is required for motorway speeds.
Old 03-11-08, 06:00 PM   #33
AndyBrad

ok chaps tried from ainley top to brighouse tonight on the m way. accelled all the way up to approx 90 on the sliproad then dropped down onto themway. felt a lot better actually. not as much wind so im thinking thats the factor? i think i just need some practice really. Ill have another go at the weeknd i think. Im sending the trousers back to ft and i feel a lot safer in leathers as opposed to textiles so ill wait till i get them ack before i practice some more.

Thanks for all the advice. its helped a lot.
Old 03-11-08, 06:01 PM   #34
AndyBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris View Post
I had the same problem on my DAS when I did a lifesaver on the city bypass at 70, when I had a minute I asked my instructor about it and he told me never to do a lifesaver at those speeds as its to dangerous as by the time you do one the ground you have covered in the time could take you into the car in front if they have to stop for any reason. Good mirror obs and forward planning is required for motorway speeds.

AHHHH i was going to ask about this. now ive got myself one of those back protectors from somone on here and i now find it a little harder to move my head when kitted up (neck warmer i think, yes i know im a wuss) any tips on making it easier?
Old 03-11-08, 06:02 PM   #35
ranathari

One thing you can't change is the wind direction: if there's a headwind then it's always going to be a struggle once you get your speed up unless you tuck in along the tank. Only other option when there's a strong headwind is to slow down a bit.

Is your back protector fitted properly? Shouldn't stop your helmet from going backwards as you tilt your head - it's protecting your spine from the shoulders down, not the neck.
Old 03-11-08, 06:04 PM   #36
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
But deffo nekkid gets hard work over 60 ...
Pfffffffff! Wuss!
Old 03-11-08, 06:05 PM   #37
BBadger

Quote:
Pfffffffff! Wuss!
LMAO !
in all serious though unless your 6ft wide 90 is quite comfortable
Old 03-11-08, 06:09 PM   #38
Warthog

Oh and I would disagree about lifesavers! I do them on the motorway. Good advance mirror obs is obviously vital and saves a lot of hassle, but if you don't know what is in your blind spot, a lifesaver will be better than not! Its not hard at speed when you get used to it.
Old 03-11-08, 06:28 PM   #39
sinbad

+1 on the earplugs and properly fitting helmet being vital, even on a bike with a fairing in my opinion. Earplugs just make everything seem calmer.

You just get used to it too, of course. I remember when I first took my hand off the bar at about 80mph and thought "feckin hell" as my hand got blown back like a crisp packet. Just being prepared for something makes it that much easier to deal with it, you probably don't need to build up your neck muscles, you just need to turn your head knowing that if you do it limply you won't stay in control.

Sit towards the back of the seat too. Remember that air behind is as important as the air hitting you, sitting bolt upright with a large "void" of low pressure behind you doesn't help once you pick up speed.

@Bris, I'm amazed your instructor said this. Mirror obs is not so easy on a bike, maintaining that constant mental image of what's behind is (in my experience) quite difficult. Mirrors leave large blindspots, and on a busy m-way relying on mirrors alone would be crazy imo. I think I would find it physically impossible to change lanes without glancing over to check it's definitely clear. I think your DAS guy should have said you should always keep an eye on what's ahead, whether doing a lifesaver, checking your mirrors or even just reading your speedometer.
Old 03-11-08, 06:41 PM   #40
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oh and I would disagree about lifesavers! I do them on the motorway. Good advance mirror obs is obviously vital and saves a lot of hassle, but if you don't know what is in your blind spot, a lifesaver will be better than not! Its not hard at speed when you get used to it.
you should be doing a shoulder check for your blind spot. A lifesaver is for looking behind you, which you should achieve from your mirrors.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote