SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-07-09, 02:00 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Spontaneous High Idle

Me and maria went to go out for a ride today. The bike started fine, warmed up fine and ran fine. Then after about 10 minutes, the bike started idling at 2500 rpm, imstead of the usual 1450 rpm.

When I got home, I checked the throttle cables and checked that the throttle butterflys were shut, it looks as though they are, although I need to get the airbox off and check everything properly. After I reassembled the bike, it started fine and idled fine, at about 1300 rpm (like it always does after its been left to stand for 20 minutes).

I'm very worried about riding my SV now
Old 26-07-09, 02:05 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Spontaneous High Idle

When it went into high Idle did you push the throttle all the way forward to make sure it was "Home" ?

Just need to eliminate any sticking issues with your Curvy (I presume it is that)

I had this on my Pointy and found out that the links between both throttle bodies were a tad dry , lubed them and it cured it for me , at lights I would push the throttle forward and it would stop .

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 26-07-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 26-07-09, 02:57 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

I checked that, it all seems fine. When i shut the throttle to the stop, the revs did not drop. I just had the airbox off to imspect for air-leaks; I cant see any. The throttle mechanism on the carbs themselves return to the stops aswell...tyhe only thing I noticved was a small tube that was rubbing on the return cable, but i cant think this would be the problem.

Started the bike up again, no problems. Very strange. If it happens again I'll have to investigate further
Old 27-07-09, 07:34 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Taking it to spanner man tomorrow to get inspected; if he finds anything, I'll post it up on here for the purposes of archiving what could be valuble information
Old 27-07-09, 04:11 PM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Same thing happened to me on Saturday, oddly enough on my way to see Spannerman... We concluded my issue (2000 curvy) was probably a sticking choke cable.