SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-10, 10:46 PM   #1
Elltg

Default ZX10R shock preload adjustment, c spanner?

Hey guys finally getting round to getting my zx10r shock onto my bike, been doing my research ready to do it. All I am wondering is if there is a specific wrench or c spanner eg a kawasaki part i can buy to adjust my pre load, i would rather have it all ready before starting than stop halfway through!

Also if anyone knows the answer to my first question im sure they can resolve this for me once and for all. The adjustment on the reservoir at the top of the shock is the compression damping adjustment right? (marked "comp") Thus making the adjustment under the spring the rebound damping by process elimination right? (marked "ten") Just looking for the straight 100% answer!

Last edited by Elltg; 25-02-10 at 10:50 PM.
Old 25-02-10, 11:17 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: ZX10R shock preload adjustment, c spanner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltg View Post
...is if there is a specific wrench or c spanner
Is there a notched ring/collar at the end of the spring? If yes then measure the diameter of said collar - buy/steal*/borrow/rent a suitable 'C' spanner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltg View Post
The adjustment on the reservoir at the top of the shock is the compression damping adjustment right? (marked "comp") Thus making the adjustment under the spring the rebound damping by process elimination right? (marked "ten") Just looking for the straight 100% answer!
Yes.

* I'm not serious about this - stealing is bad form don't you know.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-10, 11:29 PM   #3
Elltg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Is there a notched ring/collar at the end of the spring? If yes then measure the diameter of said collar - buy/steal*/borrow/rent a suitable 'C' spanner.

Yes.

* I'm not serious about this - stealing is bad form don't you know.
Yes there is a notched collar, this is my first c spanner to go into the tool box so hence the hesitation! Thanks for clearing things up mate.

I'm out to halfords tomorrow anyway after physio so i'm sure they don't need all their c spanners! Joking. I need them to be nice tomorrow anyway, have a screw on sprocket well and truly stuck onto a bicycle crank and I have a genuine interest as to whether they are capable or not. Otherwise it ill be a trip round the corner to b and q for either a new cutting blade chuck for the dremel or just a cheapo angle grinder to be abused!
Old 26-02-10, 11:58 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I used the c-spanner that came in the bike (curvy) tool kit to adjust the pre-load on my ZX10-R shock.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-10, 04:40 PM   #5
Elltg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I used the c-spanner that came in the bike (curvy) tool kit to adjust the pre-load on my ZX10-R shock.
Don't think my curvy ever had the tool kit unfortunately!

Had fun at halfords though, was funny to see how much they generally just failed at providing their service. Our halfords is a big one, warehouse sized, with an upstairs bikehut so you would expect they'd do pretty well at pretty much whatever I throw their way. Right?

So i take the bicycle crank and sprocket upstairs and I explain. Screw on sprocket. Threads normal way, sprocket can be smashed to pieces for all i care, Bla bla bla. Guy says "sure I'll see what i can do" and takes it out back.

After about a minute I hear some hammering away.... then 10 mins later he comes back out, the sprocket has a tiny flathead shaped dent in it, it hasn't moved and he tells me that he and his colleague just "snapped their chain whip trying to loosen it" haha it was all I could do to not laugh in his face!

On top of that they have a quarter of the store devoted to tools and not a single c spanner in there!
Old 26-02-10, 05:49 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Britool make adjustable C spanners. Good kit but not over cheap.
Old 26-02-10, 05:52 PM   #7
Elltg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Britool make adjustable C spanners. Good kit but not over cheap.
I'm thinking I'll just use the old hammer and screwdriver, it'll only be the once anyway...

Nice idea though mate cheers.
Old 26-02-10, 05:53 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

that method is a complete pain in the tits and takes ages
Old 26-02-10, 05:56 PM   #9
Elltg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
that method is a complete pain in the tits and takes ages
Its fine, I've got plenty of man boobies to soak up the pain! haha!